cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP gateway failover. What about routing table?

Julian Regel
Level 1
Level 1

We have two Cisco 3560E layer 3 switches at the core of our network. The switches are configured as an HSRP pair and the clients on our network point to the HSRP address as their default gateway. So if CORE-A dies, then CORE-B will pick up the address and the default route for the clients will continue to be available.

We also need to specify a few static routes on the core switch to allow us to get to specific networks. Is there a way to do this so that the routes failover in the same way that the default gateway does?

At first I thought I could use a routing protocol to propogate the table from CORE-A to CORE-B, but this [correctly] tells CORE-B to route via CORE-A, which obviously isn't going to help when CORE-A is down. I know I could enter the static routes on both switches, but wonder if there is a more dynamic approach that is less prone to operator error?

Thanks for any help!

JR

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paulstone80
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Julian,

Unless you are able to learn the additional routes from a dynamic routing protocol, then the simplest solution is as you suggested, just add the statics to both L3 switches.

HTH

Paul

HTH Paul ****Please rate useful posts****

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paulstone80
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Julian,

Unless you are able to learn the additional routes from a dynamic routing protocol, then the simplest solution is as you suggested, just add the statics to both L3 switches.

HTH

Paul

HTH Paul ****Please rate useful posts****

Hi,

HSRP allow you to track objects like interfaces. In  case inaccessibility of static routes priority of active HSRP router  will decrease and standby becomes active.

Just configure on both routers static routes to the network and track them.

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 172.16.23.7

frequency 3

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 123 rtr 1 reachability

Active router:

int vlan 10
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 ip x.x.x.x
standby 1 priority 150
standby 1 track 123 55

Standby: