Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP_not working

Tarek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have four Cisco 1800 series routers and a 3750 switch. All the four routers are connected to the 3750 switch.

The first router is used for Mail traffic

The second for Citrix traffic

the third for general web browsing

The fourth router is a backup link.

I have configured HSRP on the routers and policy routing on the cisco switch.

The internet connection of router R1 went down this morning and the bacup failed to kick in.

The attached file contain the Configuration of the routers and a switch.

I would be very grateful if somebody could checked the config and help me troubleshooting this problem.

Kind regards,

Tarek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi:

I imagine that the mail clients sit behind the 3750, which will then forward the traffic to the correct next hop.

Therefore, the problem is with the static route on the 3750 switch for the mail service.

ip route 195.x.x.Z 255.255.255.255 132.147.12.5 (MAIL Server)

The static route should be pointing to the HSRP VIP for group 2, which is 132.147.12.17, not the vlan interface for R1. Otherwise, you are always going to be forwarding traffic to one physical router, instead of the virtual gateway address, which each standby physical router can take ownership of when it becomes necessary, such as when the HSRP primary router fails or, as in your case, its serial link fails.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

It looks like you are not tracking any interfaces.

Here is a link on interface tracking. Your HSRP config needs to be aware that your internet interface is down and can longer provide that service so that it can roll over to a secondary standby group.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/619/hsrpguidetoc.html#intracking

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Configure " standby track "

Under Vlan 1 of every router exceprt R3 and check the issue.

Thanks,

Satish

Hi

sorry for the delay, I have the added the following command line to interface vlan 1

R1.

standby 2 track atm0

R2.

standby 1 track atm0

R4.

standby 1 track atm0

standby 2 track atm0

after I disconected the internet connection on R1 and issue sh standby on the stadby router. the standby router state change to active state.

but when i tried to access the mail it failed so I issued tracert on the local pc

tracert 195.x.x.x. (mail server)

it is still taking the route 132.147.12.5 (primary vlan 1 int) instead of 132.147.12.8

can somebody help me fix this problem.

thanks

Tarek

Hi:

I imagine that the mail clients sit behind the 3750, which will then forward the traffic to the correct next hop.

Therefore, the problem is with the static route on the 3750 switch for the mail service.

ip route 195.x.x.Z 255.255.255.255 132.147.12.5 (MAIL Server)

The static route should be pointing to the HSRP VIP for group 2, which is 132.147.12.17, not the vlan interface for R1. Otherwise, you are always going to be forwarding traffic to one physical router, instead of the virtual gateway address, which each standby physical router can take ownership of when it becomes necessary, such as when the HSRP primary router fails or, as in your case, its serial link fails.

HTH

Victor

You probably need to verify that your default gateway on the pc is the HSRP virtual address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card