Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP with Secondary address on VLAN SVI

dannan lin
Level 1
Level 1

please  i need some help here. 

I have created a topology like the attachment.

I created a secondary address on vlan svi and 2 HSRP groups. i want both PC1 and PC2 can communicate with their virtual gateways. 

however my attempt failed, can anyone help me out and tell me where i made mistake. 

configuration on IOU1 as shown below。

IOU1 

interface Vlan1
 ip address 2.2.2.10 255.255.255.0 secondary
 ip address 1.1.1.10 255.255.255.0
 standby 10 ip 1.1.1.254
 standby 10 priority 200
 standby 10 preempt
 standby 20 ip 2.2.2.254
 standby 20 priority 200

thanks 

dan

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try adding a secondary keyword

standby 20 ip 2.2.2.254 secondary

and test again.

HTH

thanks for your reply, but i have tried "secondary " keyword , it didn't work out. 

if use "secondary" command 

my hsrp looks like this , it stuck at learning state

IOU1#show standby br
                     P indicates configured to preempt.
                     |
Interface   Grp  Pri P State   Active          Standby         Virtual IP
Vl10        10   100 P Active  local           unknown         1.1.1.254
Vl10        20   200 P Learn   unknown         unknown         unknown

normally it looks like this 

IOU1#sh standby br
                     P indicates configured to preempt.
                     |
Interface   Grp  Pri P State   Active          Standby         Virtual IP
Vl10        10   100 P Active  local           unknown         1.1.1.254
Vl10        20   200 P Active  local           unknown         2.2.2.254

the problem is both my PCs can communicate with vlan10 interface on primary and secondary addresses. they just can't reach their virtual addresses.

Patrick Callum
Level 1
Level 1

Ok HSRP gives us the ability to have redundancy in our network, if your single link (cable) goes down what would be the point of that configuration? You need an additional link going to IOU1 and SW3 for a true redundant topology, better an additional switch as well.

The standby groups also need to have the same number and the IP addresses used need to be on the same network you would have two different priority also the higher priority will become the primary, try 110 and 130. 

Can HSRP be configured on a single interface?  

m.kafka
Level 4
Level 4

Question: where is the second HSRP device?

The documentation suggests, that you configure only one standby group on an interface and this group contains information for both primary and secondary hot standby addresses. Something like this:

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.254
standby 1 ip 2.2.2.254 secondary

In this case the interface will be either active or standby for both the primary and secondary IP. Also the same hot-standby MAC-address is used for both primary and secondary hot-standby IP address.

If the clients can't see the hot-standby IP address you should troubleshoot this. Do the clients get an ARP response for the hot-standby addresses? Could they possibly have a wrong MAC-address in their ARP-cache?

Reza was on the right track that the solution for this is to use the parameter "secondary" on one of the entries. But his example suggests that there would still be two groups. m.kafka got it right (and +5 for that) when he shows a single HSRP group with two addresses configured and with one of the addresses having the "secondary" parameter.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card