cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i configure static route and i have rib failure in bgp !!

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi ,

i have the topology below

-network---------------------------------------router----------------------internet

on router i have bgp protocol ,

its only default router which is leardned from my isp .

in my router i confifure a default static route to my isp

in bgp table there is rib failure rout which is the default router and the reason is higher AD .

my question is  , does there any need for configuring manulally the static route ????

could it play any or at least positive rule in connection with me and isp ???

if not ,  im thinking to remove it .

regards

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If they're passing you a default route, then you don't really need to configure one. If you want to have one, you can create it with a higher AD so your BGP route takes precedence. If your peering goes down for some reason, but the internet link stays up the static default route can take over until the peering comes back up. Otherwise, there's really no need for the static route.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Mert OZKUL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As John said, if you have the default route from your ISP, you don't need any other static default route on your router.

In your case, its normal to get "rib-failure" on your router. because you have 2 default routes like below;

1-) Default-route from BGP with Distance 200

2-) Default-route you configured with Distance 1

The configured static-default-route with Distance 1 is higher AD (means better AD) so your router not using the BGP's static route.

There is no need to use static-default-route in your case. If your packets need to go to your ISP, and your ISP connection is down, its not matter to get static route from ISP or send the packets to a link that is not working.

BR,

Mert ÖZKUL

hi ,i think i willl remove the saatic route .

thank you both for reply .

appreciate ur help

regrads

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card