Helpful
Replies

IE-2000-4S-TS with sfp GLC-TE - err-disabled in fastEthernet SFP

DamiFromIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Questions

1. Can GLC-TE sfp's be used in FastEthernet SFP ports on IE-2000-4S-TS-G-B switch?
    1. Cisco Compatibility Matrix suggests yes...
  2. If yes, can someone please provide guidance on how to configure switch to recognise the GLC-TE sfp module?

Our Situation

We have some IE-2000-4S-TS switches which we need to use with 100Mb copper connections. These switches were purchased specifically for our mixed 100Mb and 1Gb requirements in an industrial facility.

We cannot get GLC-TE SFPs to work / identify when plugged into the 10/100 SFP ports.

GLC-TE sfp's have been plugged to the fastEthernet SFP ports.

• Show interface returns the following (snippet only)
FastEthernet 1/1 is down, line protocol is down (err-disabled)
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is unknown

Switch and Software Version

• Switch Model:    IE-2000-4S-TS-G-B
  • SW Version:      15.2 (7) E2
  • SW Image:         IE2000-UNIVERSALK9-M

SFP Compatibility

Transceiver Description Software ReleaseNetwork Device Product ID Transceiver Product ID Data Rate Form Factor Max. Reach Cable Type Media Connector Type Transceiver Type Case Temp DOM HW Capable Minimum DOM SW

IE-2000-4S-TS-G-BGLC-TE10/100/1000 MbpsSFP100mCat5e/6ACopperRJ-45Copper-5 to 85C IOS 15.2(1)EY

5 Replies 5

Thanks @MHM Cisco World.

This is the from the log:

*Jan 2 00:00:34.166: %PHY-4-SFP_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP in Fa1/1 is not supported
*Jan 2 00:00:34.166: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Fa1/1, putting Fa1/1 in err-disable state

So, as suspected, I've purchased the wrong modules

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First i would like to clarify FastEthernet means (100MB)  and  Gigabit Ethernet  means (1000MB)

GLC-TE is Gigabit SFP Module for Ethernet Copper connection, (this work 10/100/1000 speed subject to parent device where you plugging in)

So this does not mean you can plug this module in 10/100 port to work as expected. You need to plug this SFP Module in to Gigabit port so it works as expected in the above mentioned statement)

Read some guide lines and use the right port for this to work :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie2000/software/release/15_0_2_eb/configuration/guide/scg-ie2000/swint.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

DamiFromIT
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks BB. I will have a spin through that guide.
I think I have just learnt an expensive lesson...

Do you know if the following SFP will definitely work in a FastEthernet (100Mbit) SFP port?

IE-2000-4S-TS-G-BGLC-FE-T-I100 MbpsSFP100mCat5e/6ACopperRJ-45Copper-40 to 85C IOS 15.2(3)E1

I have not tried it or tested, so if you have spare you can test and report back.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card