cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE-3000-8TC not trunking to a port on another IE-3000-8tc

bpub
Level 1
Level 1

I have two swithches both IE-3000-8TC i'm trying to set a trunk for them. Both these interfaces are duplex full, speed 100 and type 100BaseFX Fiber connections. 

switch a: 

interface 2/8

switchport mode trunk

duplex full

end

switch b: 

int Fa2/7

switchport mode trunk

duplex full

end

how

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe the issue you have is that third party SFP is not working on the Cisco switches.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Devinder Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Did you test by swapping one end of the fiber conductors to make sure TX is talking to RX at other end? If you have both these switches on desk and testing with a fiber patch cable, then patch cables are crossed over, and should not have this issue. Other thing you may want to try is to remove duplex full.

Yes, we swapped them around to see if we would get a connection and still nothing. we are running from one location to jump box then using patch cable to second location. 

Devinder Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Have you validated that fiber is compatible with SFPs?  Patch cables also need to match. If fiber does not match, then sometimes higher power SFPs with mode conditioning cables might be needed.

yes, so i was using the sfp expansion module for the IE-3000-8tc. . so they were using the exact same sfp and same muiltimode fiber patch cable at both ends. 

I ended up placing a new sfp at both ends, GLC-LG-SMD-TRI taht was good for 10km. my distance between sites is around 4.2 miles so that should be strong enough. So paced the new sfp but it still didn't let me make them trunks. 

Just shows them as not connected , native vlan 1. I've tried shutting them down and turning them back on. 

I believe the issue you have is that third party SFP is not working on the Cisco switches.

We found a fault in one of the fiber patch cables at one side. We swapped patch cable and it let me connect both ends its up now

thank you for your help, greatly appreciate it. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card