cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE2000 Dual Power Supply

KaeEll60425
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any harm in connecting the two DC inputs of a Cisco IE2000 to the same power supply? I understand that this not fully redundant- but I see from a previous employee response (copied below) that DC-A and DC-B are inputs to two separate internal power supplies. Based on this, it seems to me like connecting the same external power supply to both DC-A and DC-B would still provide some level of redundancy given the internal architecture... Thanks for the response.

"It means there are two separate power supplies.

The switch can operate with a single power source or with dual power sources. When both power sources are operational, the switch draws power from the source with the higher voltage. If one of the two power sources fail, the other continues to power the switch.

In systems configured with the redundant power option, connect each of the two power supplies to separate independent power sources. If you fail to do this, your system might be susceptible to total power failure due to a fault in the external wiring or a tripped circuit breaker."

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Based on this, it seems to me like connecting the same external power supply to both DC-A and DC-B would still provide some level of redundancy given the internal architecture.

That is correct. Connecting both PSUs to the same power source still gives some level of redundancy where if one of the PSUs fails, you have a second one to work with.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Based on this, it seems to me like connecting the same external power supply to both DC-A and DC-B would still provide some level of redundancy given the internal architecture.

That is correct. Connecting both PSUs to the same power source still gives some level of redundancy where if one of the PSUs fails, you have a second one to work with.

HTH

seandonoho
Level 1
Level 1

I have a IE 2000 switch.  I have 1 50w Power Supply. I need POE capability.  Do I need a second power supply? Can i wire it in parallel? can I wire it in Series?  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card