Views
Helpful
Replies

Imax error detected on C9400 with Bosch camera's

Double U S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

At a customer site we are experiencing problems with Bosch AUTODOME IP starlight 5000i IR IP camera's. If the camera is connected to a C9300L switch everything works fine. When we connect it to a C9410 with C9400-LC-48P line cards we end up with a cycle of:

%ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi7/0/2: Power granted
%CMRP_PFU-6-PWR_MGMT_OK: R0/0: cmand: Sufficient number of power supplies (4) are installed for power redundancy mode nplusn (excess power 4003 watts).
%ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi7/0/2: PD removed
%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi7/0/2: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected
%ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi7/0/2: PD removed

So we tried multiple software versions (17.6.4, 17.6.5 and 17.9.3) and used different cables and camera's. (Same Imax errors on a WS-C3650-48FD-L test switch by the way). Went through bug search (https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwd78924 should be fixed in 17.9.3 according to text). Followed the tshoot guide (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/215636-troubleshooting-power-over-ethernet-poe.html) and with google I also came up with: https://community.boschsecurity.com/t5/Security-Video/UHO-PoE-10-cannot-get-powered-by-every-Cisco-PoE-switch/ta-p/12779 :

Cisco claims that the Bosch UHO-PoE-10 at startup for a short moment (around 1 micro second) exceeds maximum current peek allowed by the updated IEEE 802.3-2015 standard, allowing the PSE (Power Source Equipment) to withdraw the power as a protective measure.

Due to analogue overcurrent protector components in the Cisco switch it can happen that tolerances may cause variety in behavior over different Cisco switches, even when the same model and setups are used.

Currently this behavior is only known on some Cisco models. (reports were seen on C2960X, C3560CX and recently C9200.)"

Booth suggested workarounds do work and solve the issue (tested and applied now on all camera ports);  "power inline static <max 30000>" and "power inline port 2-event". But is not the most elegant solution, customer does not want to have unique port config. And i'd rather not apply port 2-event as switch glabal, i don't know the effect on the rest of the network / PoE devices.

I want to give the artical as feedback to the customer that IEEE 802.3-2015 standard is not followed correctly. Is there any reference from Cisco of this reply metioned in the articel? TAC case ID, document or link?

Regards,

W

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Double U S wrote:
Both suggested workarounds solve the issue;  "power inline static <max 30000>" and "power inline port 2-event".

I recommend testing or verifying if this workaround actually works or not.  

Double U S
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe i was unclear. But I applied those 2 workarounds and they booth work (independently of each other).

@Double U S wrote:

Maybe i was unclear. But I applied those 2 workarounds and they booth work (independently of each other).

If the workaround works, then apply them universally.

Contact Cisco TAC and your Cisco Account Manager or SE and raise an Enhancement Request.  While this process is being done in the background, the Bosch cameras are working and providing steady feed.

Would you apply port 2-event as switch global on all access switches? I've never seen it active in a network config at other customers. (i'm aware of the impact on power budget impact of port 2-event)

No, only on ports the Bosch cameras are connected to.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card