cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Implenting L3 routing in small company

sunil_ha1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at installing a 4503 with sup IV for the core of our network. Do the switches where the clinet pcs connect have to be L3 capable as well inorder to achieve benefits of L3 routing. For example could I use the 2950s as the access switches

3 Replies 3

Hello,

your access switches do not need to be Layer 3 capable, so the 2950 switches are a good choice. All Layer 3 routing should be done on your 4503, that is, the VLAN interfaces should be created there, while the access switches should be trunked to the 4503.

HTH,

GP

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Sunil,

Have your switch 4503 do the routing between the vlans and trunk your access switches 2950 to 4503. Nope your access layer switches dont have to be L-3 capable.

regards,

-amit singh

mrchongo
Level 1
Level 1

Beef up that core switch a little, though, to a 4507R with two supervisory engines. If you're going to rely on a single chassis at the heart of your network, you need to provide some fault tolerance. The 4503 does not support dual supes, so your spare will be cold in the closet. Better to have it hot with up-to-date code and configuration in the chassis. Just my two cents. Tx, J

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card