Views
Helpful
Replies

Inconsistent port type error on VLAN

buzzhani1
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have a NAT failover configured on my 1942 router. (The config file is attached to this post). Main link is ISP1 and secondary link is ISP2. The secondary link is connected to one of the EHWIC switchports at the back of the 1942 router. The configuration had been working well until i changed the ISP2 company. Now i am getting the following errors:

%SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk GigabitEthernet0/0/0 VLAN2.
%SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/0/0 on VLAN2. Inconsistent port type.

From what i suspect, this is happening because the port from the ISP2 is in trunk mode and my own port is access mode as shown in the config file. I have tried to apply bpdufilter but i can’t get the command to work on the router.

I'd appreciate any help on how to fix this.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

what if you turn spanning tree off altogether for Vlan 2 ? You don't have any trunks configured on your router anyway, so there shouldn't be any loops...

no spanning-tree vlan 2

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

try and configure bpdu filter on GigabitEthernet0/0/0:

Zotel(config-if)#spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

Hello,

I tried that command already and It doesn't seem to work. I get the message "% Invalid input detected at '^' marker." each time in enter that command.

Hello,

I am not sure what is available in your IOS and on your platform, but try:

spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter

in global config mode,

or remove

spanning-tree portfast bpduguard (that puts your port in err-disable every time a BPDU is received).

Hello,

The command "spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter " in global config mode still gives the same "invalid input detected" error message. 

I have also removed "spanning-tree portfast bpduguard" but that didn't change anything.

Here's some info about my router:

Cisco IOS Software, C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(4)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Hello,

what if you turn spanning tree off altogether for Vlan 2 ? You don't have any trunks configured on your router anyway, so there shouldn't be any loops...

no spanning-tree vlan 2

Hello, 

I'll try that out. I'm unable to test it at the moment. I'll write back immediately i do.

Thank you very much.

That was a great idea. it worked..!

No more "inconsistent port type errors". 

Thanks a lot

This worked for me as well. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: