cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

incorrect 3850 stack cables connection?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

i have a customer with two switches connected as stack connected as (A) in the image which i believe to be incorrect , he is also getting a log message that saying that power redundancy isnt working in the stack , i believe the (B) method is what it should be connected as my question are:

1-is (A) considered functional for stack setup? is the stack power cable connection method incorrect? 

2-if i shutdown the switches and connect them in method (B) which i presume is correct? will the switches work normally or it would cause an issue? can i do it while they are on?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

when you remove the cables it will break the stack , when you re-insert them to the switch it will likely reload that switch as it reforms the stack , that's for stack cables only , power cables shouldn't cause any outage when connected/disconnected once there are power supply's in each switch

View solution in original post

Hi

i ve checked upstairs and there is only a green/yellow circle near the stack power slots on the switch, so i was wrong about that, i thought they were coloured too.

Anyway, just put the green connector in the upper slot (of switch 1) and the yellow connector in the lower slot (of switch 2) 

And switch 2 > green connector in upper slot and the yellow in the lower slot of switch one

Hope its clear

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

Hi 

B is correct for the stacking cables. Make sure the cisco logo on the connectors are readable, as they can be plugged in upside down, which will break the stack. 

As for power redundancy. 

Make sure the green connector is connected to the green slot of switch 1 and the yellow connector is connected to the yellow slot of switch 2. 

Green slot /connector on switch 2 goes to yellow slot . connector switch 1. 

thank you very much for the information , what about my other question , does rearranging the stack cables both the stack-wise and stack power cause any issues on the switches? do i need to power off the switches before i rearrange the cables?

when you remove the cables it will break the stack , when you re-insert them to the switch it will likely reload that switch as it reforms the stack , that's for stack cables only , power cables shouldn't cause any outage when connected/disconnected once there are power supply's in each switch

so it is better to power off the switches , rearrange the stack cables , then power on again ?

yes that's definitely the cleaner way if you can deal with a full shutdown , I did it the other day on 2 3650s while they were live the one I removed the stack cables from and reinserted into reloaded itself as it formed back with the master , the master stayed online

Yeah, power off. Insert stack cables, power on

regarding stack power cables , do you mean 3850 switch stack power cable socketes are colored green and yellow? i cant recall seeing colors on the stack power sockets?

Hi

i ve checked upstairs and there is only a green/yellow circle near the stack power slots on the switch, so i was wrong about that, i thought they were coloured too.

Anyway, just put the green connector in the upper slot (of switch 1) and the yellow connector in the lower slot (of switch 2) 

And switch 2 > green connector in upper slot and the yellow in the lower slot of switch one

Hope its clear

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card