Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter Vlan Routing problem on a c3550 Switch

jkinnaird1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having a problem setting up intervlan routing on a cisco c3550 switch. The switch is running IOS version c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-22.EA6.bin which according to Cisco feature navigator should support IP Routing.

I've setup 2 vlans vlan 5 and vlan 10 with a PC conneced to each one. ( I tried them in the same vlan and they could ping each other ok ) vlan 1 is the connection to my home network so I can connect via Telnet I've tried disconnecting this and using the serial port with no change to the symptoms.

IP Routing and IP CEF are both enabled, No Access Lists are configured. The router can successfully ping both hosts, Each host can ping it's gateway, the other gateway on the router but NOT the other host !

I think it may be the IOS version but it does seem to accept the commands without complaint.

Please see attachment for config

John K

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

John,

What does tracert performed from one PC towards another say?

Also, considering you're running Windows, would you mind totally disabling the Windows Firewall or any other firewall on those PCs for the time being? Usually, these problems are caused by Windows Firewall refusing to accept pings. I have seen it far too often.

Your configuration on the 3550 seems to be just fine after a brief review.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Leo,

Thank you. The one thing that puzzles me here, though, is that the PCs actually can be pinged from the 3550. Perhaps the Windows Firewall allows the pings from PC's own gateway?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

John,

What does tracert performed from one PC towards another say?

Also, considering you're running Windows, would you mind totally disabling the Windows Firewall or any other firewall on those PCs for the time being? Usually, these problems are caused by Windows Firewall refusing to accept pings. I have seen it far too often.

Your configuration on the 3550 seems to be just fine after a brief review.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter is fully right. Your config is fine, it has to be an issue with the clients.

Windows firewall issue is higly likely.

regards,

Leo

Leo,

Thank you. The one thing that puzzles me here, though, is that the PCs actually can be pinged from the 3550. Perhaps the Windows Firewall allows the pings from PC's own gateway?

Best regards,

Peter

bhargavdesai
Spotlight
Spotlight

Kindly re checkt he Host configration with Proper IP Address Subnet mask Gateway etc....

Also check your Cables connected to desired ports

Check the Port Configration.

Regards,

Bhargav Desai

Hi John,

Have you tried reload of the switch and of the PCs?

Regards,

Alex

jkinnaird1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Many thanks for all your Help.

Peter was Correct - It seems to be a windows firewall issue as when I disable it on both PC's They ping each other successfully ! - Strangly I can't ping my home router but that's not a Cisco Switch problem. Maybe that has a firewall built in.

Thanks again - I can start the next chapter of my CCNP book Soon (;-)

Maybe the firewall has access only from it's own network but not from the other. Then it could allow pinging from it's vlan where pc's and gateway are within it's network but not from the other vlan (the other network). Peter is right.

The routers usualy do have firewall enabled so maybe this is the issue there too.

Regards,

Alex

Hi John,

We all are glad to have helped. Please feel welcome to come back here any time, especially regarding that CCNP studies of yours

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card