cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Resets on all interfaces on one switch.

jasonw
Level 1
Level 1

I'm getting interface resets on one of my switches. and the reset happens to all interfaces.

Does this indicate that I have a hardware issue. I do have some strange network traffic problems from the devices that are using this switch and subnet.

4 Replies 4

Guru Mysoruu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you post the config,logs and brief the problem

Regards,

Gurudath K S

The switch are in stacks ?

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

interface resets

Number of times an interface has been completely reset. This can happen if packets queued for transmission were not sent within several seconds. On a serial line, this can be caused by a malfunctioning modem that is not supplying the transmit clock signal, or by a cable problem. If the system notices that the carrier detect line of a serial interface is up, but the line protocol is down, it periodically resets the interface in an effort to restart it. Interface resets can also occur when an interface is looped back or shut down.

2)
according to CCO, ´the interface resets counter counts the number of times the port reset itself, generally the result of link up or link down transitions´. The strange thing is that you only see the counter increasing on one side of the connection...you could try and change the cable, or use another port on the switch, if possible. Are there any other counters with abnormal values, such as the CRCs, or the input errors ?

HTH
Inayath

jasonw
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I ended up just replacing the switches that seam to be having the problem.

After looking more into it. the interface resets were not as bad as I thought. It looks like it was mostly some BGP tunnel resets that I ended up looking at. which was a bit strange I was even seeing it. but over all the problem seams to not really be centered around this. it looks like its something else. I think there is just alot of complex legs and setups in our network. That I really would need to find a different 3rd party to look over the whole design and see if they find any thing wrong.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card