cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

InterVlan Routing with 3750 and 2960 switches

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

I am using a 3750 as a default gateway for multiple Vlans on a few 2960 switches. The trunk lines are configured and working and I have assigned ip addresses to each of the Vlan interfaces on the 3750. My issue is that I can only ping the ip address on the Vlan interface of the 3750 if I have a working computer plugged directly into the Vlan on the 3750. I only have 3 vlans on the 3750 that have hosts directly connected (vlans 2, 10 and 40) the other vlans ( 20 and 70) don't have any clients plugged into them on the 3750 but the hosts reside on 2 different 2960s that connect via trunk ports. How do I keep the vlan interface on the 3750 switch pingable when I don't have hosts directly connected in that vlan on the 3750? (yes, I have enabled ip routing on the 3750)

Thanks,

Ted

---

Posted by WebUser Ted Skinner from Cisco Support Community App

5 Replies 5

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Evenif you don't have any PCs connected to VLAN, the VLAN interface should be up and pingable if your trunk interface is up and it is allowing those Vlans

Thank you

Raju

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Are these VLANs configured on 2960s vlan database? Check you trunk ports between switches if VLANs are allowed on trunks. Ports on 2960 switches need to be configured with switchport access vlan X and hosts need to be connected on them. Do you have ACLs on VLAN interfaces and VACL that might be blocking? Check IP configuration and default gateway on hosts.

Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have a working trunk between the 3750 and the 2960  the SVI's on the 3750's should stay up otherwise you have something configured incorrectly.    If you post a "show vlan" , sh int trunk and the connecting port configs between the 3750 and 2960 maybe we can help.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Will you please check whether you have "switchport autostate exclude" command configured at the Cat3750 under the trunk interface going to Cat2960. If yes, you can clear this setting via the "no switchport autostate exclude" interface configuration command.

Best regards,

Antonin

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Set "no autostate" on SVI config and SVI will keep up. Its a hidden IOS command.

---

Posted by WebUser David Schrok from Cisco Support Community App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card