cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS 15.2.2E6 for c2960X-48TS-L

mgribble1
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 c2960X-48TS-L switches that I cannot get to boot with IOS version 15.2.2E6.  The only IOS version I can get to run on them is 15.2.5bE.  I also tried the recommended version, 15.2.2E7, but that does not work either.

We have a customer that requires IOS 15.2.2E6 to avoid having to re-validate their product.  Does this sound like I have faulty switches?  With this many, it seems like a hardware/software incompatibility to me.  We have other c2960X siwthces running 15.2.2E6 just fine though, so I am confused as to what is going on.  All of them are out of contract, so I wanted to see if anyone has experienced something like this.

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

whether out of contract or not should not matter if it takes the software , what is happening in the POST output on console when the switch tries to load the new image, that will help identify what the problem maybe , did you capture it ?

is there enough space in flash ?

is the image md5 validated ? it may have got corrupted , re-download try again and validate md5

is the config register set right 2102 ?

are the boot statements right and set?

just some things I would check and the POST output

Here are the boot messages:

CPU rev: B
Image passed digital signature verification
Board rev: 5
Testing DataBus...
Testing AddressBus...
Testing Memory from 0x00000000 to 0x1fffffff.../
Using driver version 4 for media type 1
Xmodem file system is available.
Base ethernet MAC Address: d4:2c:44:ac:37:00
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
USB EHCI 1.00
USB EHCI 1.00
USB Console INIT
Initializing Flash...
mifs[5]: 10 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes     :    1806336
mifs[5]: Bytes used      :     690688
mifs[5]: Bytes available :    1115648
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[6]: 1 files, 1 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes     :    3870720
mifs[6]: Bytes used      :     971264
mifs[6]: Bytes available :    2899456
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[7]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[7]: Total bytes     :     258048
mifs[7]: Bytes used      :       8192
mifs[7]: Bytes available :     249856
mifs[7]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[8]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[8]: Total bytes     :     258048
mifs[8]: Bytes used      :       8192
mifs[8]: Bytes available :     249856
mifs[8]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[9]: 1247 files, 38 directories
mifs[9]: Total bytes     :  122185728
mifs[9]: Bytes used      :   46882816
mifs[9]: Bytes available :   75302912
mifs[9]: mifs fsck took 46 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Loading "usbflash0:/152-2.E6.bin"...Verifying image usbflash0:/152-2.E6.bin.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Image passed digital signature verification
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "usbflash0:/152-2.E6.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
           170 West Tasman Drive
           San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, C2960X Software (C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(2)E6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 16-Dec-16 21:27 by prod_rel_team
Initializing flashfs...
Using driver version 4 for media type 1
mifs[7]: 10 files, 1 directories
mifs[7]: Total bytes     : 1806336
mifs[7]: Bytes used      : 690688
mifs[7]: Bytes available : 1115648
mifs[7]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[7]: Initialization complete.

mifs[8]: 1 files, 1 directories
mifs[8]: Total bytes     : 3870720
mifs[8]: Bytes used      : 971264
mifs[8]: Bytes available : 2899456
mifs[8]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[8]: Initialization complete.

mifs[9]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[9]: Total bytes     : 258048
mifs[9]: Bytes used      : 8192
mifs[9]: Bytes available : 249856
mifs[9]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[9]: Initialization complete.

mifs[10]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[10]: Total bytes     : 258048
mifs[10]: Bytes used      : 8192
mifs[10]: Bytes available : 249856
mifs[10]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[10]: Initialization complete.

mifs[11]: 1247 files, 38 directories
mifs[11]: Total bytes     : 122185728
mifs[11]: Bytes used      : 46882816
mifs[11]: Bytes available : 75302912
mifs[11]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[11]: Initialization complete.

...done Initializing flashfs.
Checking for Bootloader upgrade..
Boot Loader upgrade not required (Stage 2)

FIPS: Flash Key Check : Begin
FIPS: Flash Key Check : End, Not Found, FIPS Mode Not Enabled

It hangs at that final message and does not continue booting from there.  As you can see, I am trying to boot from a USB drive, but even if I load the bin file onto the switch flash it has the same outcome.

We have loaded this IOS version on plenty of other switches using the smae process that we normally use and don't have any issues.  Here is the full list of commands that we normally go through to load the IOS verion we need:

enable
erase startup-config
delete vlan.dat
reload

enable
config term
interface Vlan 1
ip address 192.168.222.30 255.255.255.0
no shut
end
copy running-config startup-config
reload

enable
delete /force /recursive flash:update
archive download-sw tftp://192.168.222.250/c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-2.E6.tar

We clear the current config (in case there is something on the switch already), set an IP address so we can TFTP, delete the flash:update folder so there is enough room to load the new software and then download the software to the switch.

Strange behaviour.
I've read the Release Notes for 15.2(2)E and I don't see sort of behaviour listed.
I've also noticed that 15.2(2)E is fairly old. May I request if you try a different IOS version, perhaps 15.2(6)E, and see if this works?

I tried 15.2(6)E and it does work.  The suggested version (15.2.2E7) does not though, it hangs at the exact same spot as 15.2(2)E.

I know the easy solution is to just use a version that works, but it would be difficult for our customer to do that and it would be better to find a way to make 15.2(2)E work.

Thank you for the help so far, this is very confusing to me why it does not work...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Console into the switch and boot either one of the images. We want to see the entire boot-up process.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card