cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Recovery in 9500 Stackwise-Virtual Deployment

wgkknwadm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys! I'm in big trouble as I tried to downgrade a SVL deployment from 16.12.01 back to 16.11.01.
During the installation using the 'install add' command an error occured leaving the flash in an rather empty state. I somehow managed to get the previous files back except the packages.conf.

Now every attempt to start another rollout fails due to the missing packages.conf.

In previous versions I was able to manually extact the .bin file using the expand command and the missing files were recreated.

This command is no longer available and I couldn't find an alternative so far.

Booting the switch in bundle mode from Rommon is not working either as the stack member runs in installed mode.

Anyone who has an idea how to recreate the needed packages.conf? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

--Ralf

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.11.01.SPA.bin

Hi Leo. Unfortunately the 'request platform software package' command no longer exists in 16.12...:

Switch#request platform software ?
cflow Request cflow code coverage actions
crft Request CRFT actions
factory-license customer ordered license level and base apcount
iox-manager IOx Manager
license CSL Software license
process Request process actions
python Request a python interactive shell
shell Request shell actions
system Request system actions
trace Request trace actions
vty Request vty actions
yang-management YANG management

The request platform software commands are deprecated starting from Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.10.1. The commands are visible on the CLI in this release and you can configure them, but we recommend that you use the install commands to upgrade or downgrade.

here is release notes :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-9500.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@wgkknwadm wrote:
Hi Leo. Unfortunately the 'request platform software package' command no longer exists in 16.12...:

Force the switch to boot in Bundle Mode and then see if you can perform the Install mode command.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card