cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address on Active HSRP intermittent on Catalyst-3850

alfhafarrel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We have facing the issue about IP hsrp active intermittent, but the IP hsrp standby is running well.

Based on best practices on our topology environment is all of connection redundancy.

Is there any problem with spanning-tree?

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What are the exact (error) messages you are observing ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

Share the HSRP config 

share the debug standby 

Command Purpose

debug standbyDisplays all HSRP errors, events, and packets
debug standby errorsDisplays HSRP errors
debug standby events [[all] | [hsrp | redundancy | track]] [detail]Displays HSRP events
debug standby packets [[all | terse] | [advertise | coup | hello | resign]] [detail]Displays HSRP packets

Thanks,

Jitendra

Thanks,
Jitendra

Hi

If you have two 3850, instead a port-channel between them, why dont you put them in a stack? You would eliminate all the mess with STP and HSRP. You would have physical redundancy with a cleaner and eisier logical topoloy.

You could also use HSRP but for routers and better yet, use GLBP that give you resilience like HSRP and still loadbalance you traffic.

Hi Flavio

I used to think like you...
We had a stack of four 3850 until the day we had a software crash in that stack.
I sat in my office until 2am that night, fixing VMs that had lost connection to their storage.
Since that night we've split the stack into two stacks connected by a port-channel.

do you config any HSRP tracking ?
if not then it may the packet is redirect to standby,
how i can check this ?
simply do trace route from client (share if you can)

cisco recommend that the active HSRP is same as Root of VLAN.
this prevent the suboptimal traffic.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card