cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Base license after 16.12 Upgrade (3850)

stonent01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3850 that I purchased used for personal use.  It has an IP Base license on it and I wanted to clarify something.  If I stay below 16.9.1 the license just sticks, I know that. I have heard that even if you go into evaluation mode with 16.12, you don't lose your functionality, correct?

I just want to make sure because I specifically bought this switch because it was licensed for IP Base.  I would like to have the latest IOS on it but not if I lose the IP Base functionality.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

shambhu.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hope this link will help.(point number 3)

https://blog.router-switch.com/2016/10/license-and-warranty-for-cisco-catalyst-3850/

Also check what are the evaluation and permanent license available in your switch by  show license right-to use details

show license right-to use details

Regards

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The license will stay the same regardless of what IOS you upgrade to. Also, to upgrade the IOS, you will need an active service contract and CCO account.

HTH

Well I have the files to do the upgrade, I just didn't want to get into a situation where the layer 3 options no longer worked because I don't have a smart licensing server at my house.

Layer 3 options will not change because you cannot access a smart license server.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card