Helpful
Replies

IP conflict and transmit failed. General failure

john.medalla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Good Day!

I have problem with my network. i have many pc connected to a particular vlan, sample is vlan 100 and they are set in static IP's. But random pc are occured ip conflict and when you ping this "transmit failed. General failure". after unplugged and plugged the power of switch hub it can now ping. after 20mins to 30mins it will occur the problem again. what is the cause of that problem. Thank you.

Regards,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are not able to ping the ip address of the machine that experiences the ip conflict, there could still be another machine with that ip that is not responding to pings.

login to your switch and "show arp | i 192.168.1.1"(ip address that is not responding).  If it returns a mac address other than the mac of the pc that has the ip conflict, you have located the culprit.

Then go to the link I referenced in the above posting and follow the step by step direction on how to locate an ip address. 

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tinashe Ndhlovu
Level 1
Level 1

I think the answer is in the question.. IP Address Conflict.. you have "many" PC's connected to a vlan and they all have static IP Address, I am guessing there genuinely is an IP Conflict with two or more PCs sharing the same IP Addresses. The fact that its happening randomly to different machines could just be pseudorandom where the first PC to connect to the network wins... after rebooting the switch another might win and so on and so on.. may you physically verify that you do not have any conflicts.

Maybe, but i  already double check all the pc with static ip address but no one same ip and i have the list of ip address that put in the PC's.

Are there any other PCs that are not statically assigned IP addresses that obtain from DHCP? Maybe there's some DHCP overlap somewhere in the network... U need to verify that ip addressing across the entire subnet is perfect 

all them are statically assigned, but some pc's are randomly intermittent the connection. so we just we do is unplug and plug the power of the unmanaged swtich.

If you are not able to ping the ip address of the machine that experiences the ip conflict, there could still be another machine with that ip that is not responding to pings.

login to your switch and "show arp | i 192.168.1.1"(ip address that is not responding).  If it returns a mac address other than the mac of the pc that has the ip conflict, you have located the culprit.

Then go to the link I referenced in the above posting and follow the step by step direction on how to locate an ip address. 

Hope this helps...

I can ping after unplugged and plugged the unmanaged switch... then it will be occured again randomly the intermittent connection in that particular vlan.

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello John,

Once a pc experiences an ip conflict and loses connectivity,

Login to your network and locate the other pc that should be responding to the same ip address.

The following link shows how to locate an ip address, step by step.   Scroll down to ashirkar's posting.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/9806336/find-ip-addressmachine-connected-cisco-switch-port

Hope this helps...

If so, please rate.

thanks for the information cehill. i will check this link.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card