Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

IP Device Tracking - Max 0, NMSP Attach Supress, or Both

Alex Pfeil
Rising star
Rising star

I have read in multiple forums that some people effectively shut off device tracking with the ip device tracking max 0 command.  Other users suggested the nmsp attachment suppress command.  I then read that some switches do not offer the ip device tracking maximum 0 command.  I also read that the nmsp attach suppress command was not turning IPDT off on some switches. Is one command a best practice over the other? It sounds like I might have to configure both on all ports to cover an issue where one works and the other does not.

I look forward to any comments.

Please rate helpful posts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
Mentor
Mentor
Hi
as per doc i attached in your other IDPT query , its not advised to use MAX 0 , it talks about turning off the specific features themselves that enable it

Here are some example of commands used in order to disable some of the functions discussed previously:

nmsp attach suppress
no macro auto monitor

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/address-resolution-protocol-arp/118630-technote-ipdt-00.html#anc14

Enter the ip device tracking maximum 0 Command

This command does not truly disable IPDT, but it does limit the number of tracked hosts to zero. This is not a recommended solution and it should be used with caution, because it affects all of the other features that rely on IPDT, which includes the port-channels configuration as described in Cisco bug ID CSCun81556.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark Malone
Mentor
Mentor
Hi
as per doc i attached in your other IDPT query , its not advised to use MAX 0 , it talks about turning off the specific features themselves that enable it

Here are some example of commands used in order to disable some of the functions discussed previously:

nmsp attach suppress
no macro auto monitor

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/address-resolution-protocol-arp/118630-technote-ipdt-00.html#anc14

Enter the ip device tracking maximum 0 Command

This command does not truly disable IPDT, but it does limit the number of tracked hosts to zero. This is not a recommended solution and it should be used with caution, because it affects all of the other features that rely on IPDT, which includes the port-channels configuration as described in Cisco bug ID CSCun81556.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: