cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Device Tracking - Max 0, NMSP Attach Supress, or Both

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

I have read in multiple forums that some people effectively shut off device tracking with the ip device tracking max 0 command.  Other users suggested the nmsp attachment suppress command.  I then read that some switches do not offer the ip device tracking maximum 0 command.  I also read that the nmsp attach suppress command was not turning IPDT off on some switches. Is one command a best practice over the other? It sounds like I might have to configure both on all ports to cover an issue where one works and the other does not.

I look forward to any comments.

Please rate helpful posts.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
as per doc i attached in your other IDPT query , its not advised to use MAX 0 , it talks about turning off the specific features themselves that enable it

Here are some example of commands used in order to disable some of the functions discussed previously:

nmsp attach suppress
no macro auto monitor

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/address-resolution-protocol-arp/118630-technote-ipdt-00.html#anc14

Enter the ip device tracking maximum 0 Command

This command does not truly disable IPDT, but it does limit the number of tracked hosts to zero. This is not a recommended solution and it should be used with caution, because it affects all of the other features that rely on IPDT, which includes the port-channels configuration as described in Cisco bug ID CSCun81556.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
as per doc i attached in your other IDPT query , its not advised to use MAX 0 , it talks about turning off the specific features themselves that enable it

Here are some example of commands used in order to disable some of the functions discussed previously:

nmsp attach suppress
no macro auto monitor

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/address-resolution-protocol-arp/118630-technote-ipdt-00.html#anc14

Enter the ip device tracking maximum 0 Command

This command does not truly disable IPDT, but it does limit the number of tracked hosts to zero. This is not a recommended solution and it should be used with caution, because it affects all of the other features that rely on IPDT, which includes the port-channels configuration as described in Cisco bug ID CSCun81556.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card