cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP DNS: Could someone explain how I set up my router as a soa?

jp.ward16
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2911 router  w/ security bundle that I would like to use as a primary IP DNS for less than 50 records. I attempted this process earlier using ip dns view command, but I do not believe this was the right way to attack this problem.

The running-config is attached.

I have the internal subnet NAT'd to the IP NAT outside on Gig0/0 and with all that information, when the client pull down a DHCP address, the internal DNS is not part of the DNS information supplied to the clients and I lose the internal DNS I attempted to set up.

Would someone clarify to me how to set it up where I have the internal DNS (of my creation as the first DNS address and a secondary DNS IP address (Google PUBLIC DNS) so I can surf the IP NAT Outside? Is this possible ?

Lastly, how would I add hosts to my internal DNS table?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

configure DNS services on the router with:

ip dns server

then create host records with:

ip host xyz 10.10.10.10

The router should be able to do lookups for records that it doesn't have configured locally via its own name servers.

hth

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

What does it do with IP Host records that are stored in its local cache/table? 

The router itself uses those records and also responds to DNS requests that match the name with the mapped IP address. 

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card