Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP forwarding to 2 destinations

Dear all,

I need your point of view on a customer request.

I have aclient connected to f0/1 of a router which sends UDP packets to a server connected on the F0/0 of the same router..

My customer would like to have these UDP packets on 2 servers. One locally and the other one is remote. We can't use Multicast routing.

Here is a solution in the router configuration to allow this kind of request.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jean-Yves

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jean-Yves

I'm not sure there is going to be a way to do this as the router treats the packet as a unicast packet so it will not create a second copy of it.

The only solutions i can think of are -

1) configure the source to send the packets to both destinations

or

2) use multicast which i appreciate you have already said they don't want to do but this is precisely what multicast was designed to do.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jean-Yves

I'm not sure there is going to be a way to do this as the router treats the packet as a unicast packet so it will not create a second copy of it.

The only solutions i can think of are -

1) configure the source to send the packets to both destinations

or

2) use multicast which i appreciate you have already said they don't want to do but this is precisely what multicast was designed to do.

Jon

Thanks jon for your answer, this is what I think, I will suggest to make a GRE tunnel to the second server to allow multicast without routing it on all routers.

Br,

Jean-Yves

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: