Views
Helpful
Replies

ip pim sparse-mode on Vlan interface

harryraju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to configure "IP PIM SPARSE-MODE" command on a vlan interface on a 3560E switch but it doesn't give me the option to do this. The only option available is ip pim passive. What would cause this ? On the same switch a physical interface is already configured with IP PIM SPARSE-MODE.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Harry,

What license do you have running on your 3560E? I vaguely recall that a basic license or feature set for 3560E Catalysts supports only the PIM Stub routing which is why you see only the ip pim passive command. You would probably need to upgrade your license/feature set to get full multicast routing support.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Harry,

What license do you have running on your 3560E? I vaguely recall that a basic license or feature set for 3560E Catalysts supports only the PIM Stub routing which is why you see only the ip pim passive command. You would probably need to upgrade your license/feature set to get full multicast routing support.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter. And looks like you are right . This artical explains it under PIM Stub routing 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swmcast.html#wp1127349

and the switch is running just ipbase so looks like a upgrade it in order. Thanks for you help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card