Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone wifi SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF

stipes94444
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Here I have a network of two Cisco switches (Cisco Catalyst 2960) connected together to a router which I am not managing.They're also connected to each other. All the wifi AP-s are connected to the second switch while everything other on the network is connected to the first switch.

The wifi seems to work normally with laptops, but every time I associate with my iPhone ( tried with 3GS and 4) the network goes crazy. Cisco starts giving MAC flapping errors, all the ports on the first switch and on the second one are blinking at the same time. But when I, for example, disconnect the first switch from the second one, the first one (to whom none of the Ap-s are connected) normalizes.

When at the time of flapping somebody else tries to associate to the wifi using whatever he desires, he is unable to do so.

Here is an example of the flapping error.

Description: Host 40a6.d9cd.5eda in vlan 1 is flapping between port Fa0/7 and port Fa0/25

Explanation:  not available

Recommended Action:  not available

Type: SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF

Grateful in advance,

Stipe.

4 Replies 4

kapathak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you post the configuration of any
port where an access point is connnected?

kapathak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Describing the topology will be helpful :-)

ranraju
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

macflap notifications are seen when there is a bridging loop in the network.

-----"Host 40a6.d9cd.5eda in vlan 1 is flapping between port Fa0/7 and port Fa0/25"

if this is the log message that you are seeing on the switch, then we need to find out what is connected on ports fa0/7 and fa0/25.

And also, how are the two 2960s connected to each other, do you have redundant links between them?

As Kapil mentioned, a topology would definitely be helpful, along with the configurations on fa0/7 and fa0/25 on the switch where you are seeing these log messages...

Regards,

Ranganath

sdheer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As a apnning-tree best practise you can add "portfast" to the access ports which are directly connected to the end hosts,in order to prevent generation of TCNs on addition and removal of hosts.

For more info on portfast ,refer to the following doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800b1500.shtml

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Swati

Please rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card