cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Cisco IP multicast proprietary?

dstehle
Level 1
Level 1

Is Cisco IP multicast proprietary? Will it interoperate with other routers that use PIM-SM (sparse mode)?

Thanks,

David

3 Replies 3

Hi David,

if i got your question the answer is "no", it will interoperate with other vendors.. it is true that Cisco very often writes down its solutions before the other companies can even understand what a solution can be  (TDP is my favorite example) but definitely you should read this:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4601.txt

and the updated version

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6226

Although each vendor has its own way to implement a standard, there are some features that MUST be respected.

Hopt it helps

Alessio

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

dstehle wrote:

Is Cisco IP multicast proprietary? Will it interoperate with other routers that use PIM-SM (sparse mode)?

Thanks,

David

In answer to your first question, depends what "flavor" of Cisco multicast we're discussing.

In answer to your second question, likely will if other vendor adheres to the RFCs that Alessio provided.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

In addition to my esteemed friend's answers here, for all practical purposes, Cisco's implementation of PIM-SM and BSR is a standard one, meaning that any other router that also implements standard PIM-SM should be capable of seamless interoperation with Cisco's multicast implementation. Therefore, I do not believe you should be concerned about any basic interoperability issues. The Auto-RP is a proprietary mechanism but considering BSR, you should avoid Auto-RP anyway.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card