cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is it possible to initiate traffic from router for speediest ?

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi folks

sometimes i want to test the Backhauling speed in cases like LNS/LAC for ISP providers .

I'm wondering if i can make a dump traffic as much as possible to see if the links not congested .

is that possible with cisco ?

cheers

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can run an iperf test if your looking to do a throughput test between 2 end devices on each side of the ISP circuit , that would probably be your most accurate way of testing if you don't have an physical testers

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12068771/iperf-test-measuring-throughputspeed-wlan-client

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some Cisco router IOS versions contained a copy of TTCP as a hidden command, but most do not, especially, I suspect, "newer" IOS versions.

For low bandwidth links, you might be able to create some traffic pressure by using the chargen service, or by using ping with maximum packet sizes or perhaps even by listing something like show tech with pagination turned off.

However, except for the TTCP application, Cisco devices don't have software really intended to congest a link.  As Mark noted, for that, you're likely much better off using some form of traffic generator app that will pass traffic through the Cisco device.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card