cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to run RSTP on switch1 and PVST on switch2 if both switches sre connected back to back?

Answer

5 Replies 5

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

The topology in your scenario doesn't have redundancy which could result in a bridging loop, so STP is "out of work".

When you say "RSTP on switch1", do you mean a non-Cisco Switch running standard (single instance) RSTP ?

I posted some information regarding the handling of Cisco proprietary per-VLAN BPDUs of 3rd party swichtes here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3821096#3821096

Feel free to ask for more details.

Best regards

Rolf

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Yes but why would you want to do that ?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Why?

Well, you might have some antique switches that don't support RSTP.  (I got some in "my" network.)

Or, it might just be temporary while your moving from STP to RSTP.

Yes you can.

Alessio

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Angus Bishop
Level 1
Level 1

Yes both the protocol are compatible . Reffer the software release notes .

Configuration depends on your scenario .

Even mstp is backward compatible with previous stp versions

Angus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card