cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to upgrade the IOS XE on a 9300 switch stack remotely?

KMNRuser
Level 1
Level 1

This evening i will be upgrading the IOS XE code on a stack consisting of 4 X C9300-48P-A switches and 1 X C9300-48UXM-A switches. there are 5 switches in the stack in total.
I will be upgrading from current version IOS XE 16.6.3 to version 16.9.5.
Can this upgrade be done remotely, i.e., is it an option to simply be SSH'd into the switch and then run the following commands:
"switch# install add file tftp://10.240.4.49/cat9k_iosxe.16.09.05.SPA.bin activate commit"

I have already tested connectivity to the TFTP server.
The reason i am asking is because i need to know if i need to setup a laptop on the console port of the switch.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure if the process is tested (i have done few i do not see issue, it all depends some time).

you can upgrade with maintenance window since switch stack required to reboot to get new version activated.

If you have chance, suggest to have remote hand in case power off and power on, and console it for you to look.

EDIT :

these device suuport USB also, in case you can keep copies of old and new in USB with the remote supported.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am not sure why it would power off during this process since it is only a reboot with "activate".

Have you had this happen before?

I live within 15 minutes of site so i would travel there if there was any issue.

You do not need to power off and on while you upgrade, as i mentioned in case required.

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@KMNRuser wrote:

switch# install add file tftp://10.240.4.49/cat9k_iosxe.16.09.05.SPA.bin activate commit

Instead of doing that, try this: 

copy tftp://10.240.4.49/cat9k_iosxe.16.09.05.SPA.bin flash:
request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.05.SPA.bin new auto-copy verbose

After the file has been unpacked, make sure to verify the "packages.conf" file: 

more flash-1:packages.conf | b CAT9

Run the same command on all switch members. 

Then make sure the boot variable string is pointing to the "packages.conf" file: 

sh boot

Save the config and then reboot.

Leo,

Thanks for the response-it is very much appreciated.

Please help me to understand why i would choose your recommendation over what i had published which is using the 

install add activate commit 

commands.  What are the advantages of what you have suggested. 

I am asking because it seems like the install method requires a lot less work.

Thanks again!

Kevin

@Leo Laohoo Good point.

This freature was introduced Denali 16.X onwards i guess, advantage as below :

Use the request platform software package expand switch all file flash:image.bin auto-copy command to expand the target image to flash and move from bundle mode to install mode. You can point to the source image on your TFTP server or in flash if you have it copied to flash.

Note 

Use the switch all option to upgrade all switches in your stack.

Use the auto-copy option to copy the.bin image from flash: to all other switches in your stack.

BB

@KMNRuser wrote:

What are the advantages of what you have suggested. 

Because it is what is written in the Release Notes and it has worked for me.  

On the other hand, 15 minutes drive is not bad (if something do go wrong).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card