cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to NAT only one octet on a router? Please help

jimmiejoe
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to do a 'wildcard' NAT, if you will, and only change one octet? I was told that something like this is possible, but haven't been able to find any information on it.

Our company is moving their production site from one city to another, and part of the equipment is going to be up at the new site until the permenant one is shut down and moved with the rest of the equipment.

If a server at the new site wants to talk to a peer on the original site, we would like to create a NAT as close to the destination as possible, and change the second octet during the NAT. An example would be that a server 10.154.1.1 got moved to the new site, but needs to talk to a peer 10.154.1.2 at the old site. Routing would be messed up, and I want to create a NAT so that 10.154.1.1 could point to 10.155.1.2, and on a router close to the destination server, it would change the destination address back to 10.154.1.2.

Can someone help me with this situation? I'm familiar with source NAT, but not destination, and surely not this one.

Thanks

Jim

2 Replies 2

tekha
Level 3
Level 3

I think what you are looking for is somthing like this.

ip nat inside source static network 10.154.1.0 10.155.1.0 /24

or this.

ip nat outside source static network 10.154.1.0 10.155.1.0 /24

Oh yeah.

After many years the solution is the same. I needed to NAT only the first octet and the tip above me worked perfect.

Be honest, I never payed attention about the option "network" under NAT config.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card