Views
Helpful
Replies

iSCSI on SG200

eleach
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Dell EqualLogic PS4210 storage array and a Dell R730 server attached to a Cisco SG200 50 port smart switch.  Using vsphere vcenter I configured the host and the ports on the array, but I can't seem to get the ports on the switch configured for iSCSI traffic.  Does anyone know if the SG200 supports iSCSI and if so, how to configure it?  Your help will be deeply appreciated!

Thank you!

16 Replies 16

Hi @eleach

Looking at a similar discussion, I'd say it does not support. As per this discussion, Dell requirements involve ISL support on Switch which is not seem as supported on SG200.

Here the link for reference:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/6016-discussions-lan-switching-routing/message-id/398931

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hello,

I assume you have a LAG configured for the SG200 ports ? Make sure that flow control is enabled in the LAG, as that is one of the requirements (page 123 of the attached user guide tells you how to configure the LAG and enable flow control)...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/Cisco_200Sx_v1_4_AG.pdf

Hi,

I tried your suggestion, but to no avail.  What am I doing wrong?

mattjones03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have setup a number of Dell EqualLogic SAN heads into Cisco Catalyst switches.

I know your instance is using a Cisco Small Business SG200, however as long as all the interfaces reside in the same VLAN, then you should be able to establish connectivity.

Dell EqualLogic does not require that you use a link aggregation protocol (LACP) as you merely rely on the interface load balancing algorithm that the Dell EqualLogic chassis offers.

As others have mentioned, you will require to enable flow control on the interfaces connecting to your VMware and Dell EqualLogic interfaces.

Just to add, as iSCSI operates on TCP/IP you shouldn’t need to do anything specific. This is one of the luxuries of iSCSI. It can operate on existing (appropriate) switching infrastructure.

Hi,

I tried configuring the VLAN on the switch, but the array looses it's connection.  Any thoughts?

Hi,

Could you share a sanitised version of the SG200 configuration?

Well, I created VLAN 3 and configured ports 37 and 41 with VLAN ID 3, interface Trunk, untagged, and PVID selected.

Hi,

All of your iSCSI ports should be access ports (baring in mind you have the one VLAN), and not defined as trunk interfaces.

Thank you for all your input, I really appreciate it.

VLAN 1 is default and I created VLAN 3 which is static.  Am I missing something?  Whenever I try to configure the ports for VLAN 3, the array looses it's connection.

My assumption, without seeing your configuration is that you are attempting to trunk your interfaces connected to the array.

All interfaces participating in iSCSI will need to be access interfaces. I would assume that this would be VLAN 3.

Just to add, what is the IP, subnet mask and default gateway you are using on each device?

Thank you!

Here is my configuration.

Using vcenter, I configured vswitch0 with ip 192.168.101.13 and the iSCSI vswitch with ip 192.168.102.13.

The Ips for the array are eth0 192.168.101.60, eth1 192.168.101.61, and eth2 172.16.101.60.

The group ip is 192.168.101.25.

All on 255.255.255.0 with the gateway being 192.168.101.1.

Array connected to ports 0 connected to switch port 37 (vlan 3) and port 1 connected to switch port 41 (vlan 3).

Server connected ports. 1 connected to switch port 38 and port 4 connected to switch port 48 (vlan 3).

All posts configured with vlan mode = access.

Hi,

The IP address on eth2 (172.16.101.60), I assume this is the management IP of the array?

When you mention that you lose connectivity to the array when putting the interfaces into VLAN 3, which VLAN does the device losing communication with the array reside?

The reason I ask is, It would seem that the SG200 switch is only capable of layer 2. With this in mind, if your management device (laptop/PC) is situated in VLAN 1, and the array is in VLAN 3, you would lose connectivity as the switch is not capable of completing inter-VLAN routing.

For you to fully test this, all devices including your management device would need to sit in VLAN 3.

Can you test this?

Is your default gateway a router/layer3 switch?

Hi,

Yes, eth2 is the management IP for the array.  I'm using the EqualLogic group manager software and all seems fine except that there is no iSCSI connection.  When I change the port settings for port 41 on the switch which is connected to port eth0 of the array, that's when the group manager application looses connection. 

I will most certainly give it a go and let you know the outcome!

Thank you!

Hi,

I followed your directions and the outcome was the same.  All ports on switch configured as vlan3 access mode.  Could I be missing something in vcenter?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card