Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 & L2 switch

On a layer 3 switch on issuing the global command ip routing the L3 is enabled and intervilan routing is enabled.

Can I have some ports of same switch as L3 and some as L2?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.kalopetrides wrote:

If I do not create vlan svi there will be no routing? because  it will not have a gateway?

Correct, no SVI for a vlan means that clients on that vlan can only communicate with clients on the same vlan.

If you want to restrict inter-vlan traffic between certain vlans use access-lists on the SVI interfaces, it's the easiest solution.

Jon

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

m.kalopetrides wrote:

On a layer 3 switch on issuing the global command ip routing the L3 is enabled and intervilan routing is enabled.

Can I have some ports of same switch as L3 and some as L2?

Michael

Even after enabling "ip routing" all ports on the switch are still L2 switchports. It is indeed possible to have L2 and L3 ports on the same switch with routing enabled eg.

int gi0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

the above is a L2 port assigned to vlan 10 

int gi0/2

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

the above is a L3 routed port with an IP address assigned.

Jon

JON!!!!

I was asking about you a few weeks ago! Where the heck have you been, you limey??!!??

Hope everything is OK.

lamav wrote:

JON!!!!

I was asking about you a few weeks ago! Where the heck have you been, you limey??!!??

Hope everything is OK.

Victor me old mate, yes i've been away for a few months sorting out some personal stuff so haven't been posting for a while.

Back now, at least for the present !

Hope your'e okay as well, good to hear from you.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Yes I know about that, may be I did not make myself clear.

I ment that how can I have some ports routing intervilan routing and some only their vlan

m.kalopetrides wrote:

Thanks Jon

Yes I know about that, may be I did not make myself clear.

I ment that how can I have some ports routing intervilan routing and some only their vlan

Not sure i follow, could you give an example of what you mean.

Jon

Are you talking about restricting some users to a single VLAN and other users not?

Yes some ports to have intervlan routing and some ports not

eg port 1 & 2 to belong to vlan 2

port 3 & 4 to vlan 5

port 5&6 to vlan 6

no traffic from vlan 2 to go to vlan 5 & 6 and no traffic from vlan 5&6 to vlan 2 so vlan 2 will be isolated

Thanks

Hi Michael,

You can just use a standard access list to do this.

So e.g. if VLAN 2 has a 192.168.2.0/24 address range and VLAN 5 has a 192.168.5.0/24 range and you want to stop VLAN 2 traffic from entering VLAN 5 you could create a standard access-list as follows:

access-list 1 deny 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 1 permit any

Interface VLAN 5

ip access-group 1 in

Adam

HI

Another way can be that u dont create the SVI of vlan 2 on ur  L3 switch instead of applying the ACLs.

Thanks

Correct, but this would stop the suggested VLAN from routing at all.

If I do not create vlan svi there will be no routing? because  it will not have a gateway?

m.kalopetrides wrote:

Correct, no SVI for a vlan means that clients on that vlan can only communicate with clients on the same vlan.

If you want to restrict inter-vlan traffic between certain vlans use access-lists on the SVI interfaces, it's the easiest solution.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card