cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Switch How to Remove VLAN 1 from Interface

dewey89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community.  How do I remove an interface from being Default on VLAN 1?

We have two 4500-E's with trunk ports on Ten-Gig ports 1/1- 2 in a port-channel, but I can't find a way to remove 1/1 from being a default port for VLAN 1.

We use a three digit number for our Native VLAN and VLAN 1 doesn't show up on int ten 1/2, but can't be removed from int ten 1/1.

When I run "show vlan" it shows up only on 1/1.  I know you can't delete it or shut it off so what is the trick?

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If both port 1/1/ and 1/2 are part of a Portchannel, just add the 3 digit number for your native vlan to the Portchannel.

under the Portchannel interface add

switchport trunk native vlan xxx

the physical links should now inherit the config on the PO and make vlan xxx the native vlan and not part of vlan 1 anymore.

HTH

We use a three digit number for our Native VLAN and VLAN 1 doesn't show up on int ten 1/2, but can't be removed from int ten 1/1.

Our Native VLAN is listed as a command on all three ports, two physical and the port channel.

Hello,

you cannot delete or remove Vlan 1. What are you trying to accomplish ? Vlan 1 is used to send control traffic like VTP/STP/DTP/CDP.

Our Native VLAN is listed as a command on all three ports, two physical and the port channel.

What I'm trying to do is remove interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1 from VLAN1 from the "show vlan" command output.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I agree with George, according to Best practice for c6500 switches Cisco doc, we cannot remove vlan 1 because of control traffic. We should not use vlan 1 for data traffic. you can do remove vlan 1 data traffic on trunking interfaces with switchport trunk allowed vlan 2-1004

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/20

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2-1004

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card