Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 switch inter vlan routing with CME router

Hello. 

I`m a student and making projekt. I have some issue, but in CCNA Voice Lab manual or other books i cant find the answer. In my network i have CME router and L3 switch, i dont want configure router on a stick for inter Vlan routing.

I want  routing VLAN by L3 switch, but i have a question how Voice traffic (VLAN voice) get the CME router if L3 switch routing VLANs. For example have 4 data Vlan (server, pc, managment, sales) Vlans and 1 Voice Vlan (22 telefon Cisco). Is connection between L3 switch and CME router need to be trunk anyway even L3 switch routing Vlans?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

you have 2 options, you can add FW and make them as a gateway so your network is secure, so your Router can not be a transit point

other option layer3 switch as a gateway, and L3 gateway to the Internet (not secured) also L3 Switch not do NAt for your internal clients.

let me know your views

new2.jpg

new.jpg

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make a Small diagram and understand the Flows - if you Like L3 Switch as Gateway Create VLAN SVI on L3 Switch, Configure your CME to use L3 as Gateway, make sure you uplink use L3 Switch as path ?

If the Router Actinve as only Voice Gateway, you only required Voice VLAN configured as P2P interface or access VLAN (since you do not like router to be Gateway of other VLAN so there is no requirement for Trunk)

is this make sense or let us know if i misunderstood this ?

BB

Hello balaji.bandi!

First at all thank you for trying to help me. 

I make a small diagram with "router on stick" configuration I think. 

But i dont like it, becouse router doing a lot of job here: Call station( PBX), inter Vlan routing, some firewall features, NAT(PAT),DHCP serwer, Wan connection. I just wonder if we can make inter Vlan configuration on L3 switch,  becouse of a lot amount of data between departments in the office. Configure interVlan routing on L3 switch is undesrtandable for me . But how  configure  VLAN traffic exchange between departments in the office on switch and make VOICE VLAN going to router  for internal telephony.On the other hand, I also plan a telephone connection with the world through the Sip trunk

you have 2 options, you can add FW and make them as a gateway so your network is secure, so your Router can not be a transit point

other option layer3 switch as a gateway, and L3 gateway to the Internet (not secured) also L3 Switch not do NAt for your internal clients.

let me know your views

new2.jpg

new.jpg

BB

Hello balaji.bandi!

Thanks for the suggestions, but for project its make a lot of complication and for me (student) , maybe what I suggest below will not be a bad decision?

I think, put the File Server in Vlan 106 - the department of designers who will most need access to it, this will save the router from routing this a lot amount of data. Other Vlan`s traffic is not very big and router can handle it. What do you think?

Thank you

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure sometimes we many not deploy as best practice, but we need to deploy as per organization or business needs. deploy as per the requirement and suitable for you.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card