Helpful
Replies

LACP with AccessPoint does not work correctly

martijn.deleur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I have the following problem.

We have several Cisco Catalyst 9200L with 4x 10G uplink in use. The devices are provided with several VLANs and almost everything works perfectly. The problem i have is with LANCOM AccessPoints witch should support LACP (LANCOM LN-1702) This is an AC-Wave2 access point that has two Ethernet ports. The two ports are combined into a bundle. On the switch, I have configured port channel and the required VLANs. The devices get an IP Adress successfully in the native VLAN but Clients who want to connect to WiFi-Networks (tagged VLANs) can't get an IP Adress.

Can anyone help me further?

The current switch config is attached.

Here is additional information:

VLAN50 native = management VLAN (access point and controller, IP management with DHCP)
VLAN54 tagged VLAN with RAIDUS authentication
VLAN55 tagged VLAN with WPA2 key
VLAN56 tagged VLAN with HotSpot Wifi

DHCP pool has 1000 IPs and there are about 100 assigned.

I suspect that there is a problem in the configuration with LACP and Trunk on the switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

on a side note, looking at the LANCOM port table configuration page (linked below), make sure both ports are in hybrid (mixed) mode and that the port VLAN ID is set to 50 (in order to match the native VLAN on the Cisco side).

I don't see an option to specify which VLANs are allowed on the ports other than allowing all Vlans. What if you change the trunks on the Catalyst to allow all Vlans instead of just the 4 you have specified ?

https://www.lancom-systems.de/docs/config/en/refmanual/#topics/aa1084328.html

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As per the quick start guide, this AP is supporting the LACP. Can you share some more information as Port-channel summery and LACP status on the particular port/EtherChannel?

Also, we may require an AP configuration screenshot because I hope you are making some mistakes with AP configuration.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello, thanks for the information.

I have put together the following information in the attached file:
LACP Counter, Internal and Neighbor, Port Channel Details, Port Status and PowerInline. (Those are TXT and PDF Files)

Currently, only ports 35 and 36 are configured as port channel 4 and are in operation.

Hi,

Everything seems fine but VLAN configuration is missing in the AP configuration. Please share the same and also attached. Sho interface trunk output from the switch also.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters , does it work with a none-LACP setup?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

yes, if I have not configured a port channel, but the VLANs are the same everything works fine.
As asked above, I will provide the configuration of the AP.

Hello

That switch is acting as a distribution switch not a L3 switch so where does you dhcp server reside if isn't off any of your L3 interfaces then you’ll need relay agents applied, Do you have any applied on the l3 interfaces of the wlan and data vlans?

Also do the APs themselves receive dhcp allocation if so then I would say your port config is okay , Are these APs autonomous or lightweight? 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi @paul driver 

You had caught a good point on the DHCP relay configuration. Yes, you might be correct. 

Please check DHCP Relay (IP helper-address) configuration under the other VLANs, if the DHCP server is seating in different VLANs.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi there @paul driver and @Deepak kumar )
We have a DHCP Server in each VLAN. Also when i don't use Port-Channel at all and use the AccessPoint only with one Uplink (Port Config below) everything works fine.
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/35
description WLAN
switchport trunk native vlan 50
switchport trunk allowed vlan 50,54-56
switchport mode trunk

So do i have to use IP-Helper because of trying to use Port-Channel to increase Network-Speed on the AccessPoint?

I will now do more tests and also check the AP configuration (VLAN etc.) and then post an update again.

Hello
No you do not require any dhcp relay appending to your trunks, try recreating the port-channel without LACP, just using a static port channel configuration and test again.

int x/x/
channel-group x mode on

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

Have you tried a port-channel with Mode ON or passive?

interface range GigabitEthernet1/0/35 - 1/0/36
channel-group x mode on

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hello,

on a side note, looking at the LANCOM port table configuration page (linked below), make sure both ports are in hybrid (mixed) mode and that the port VLAN ID is set to 50 (in order to match the native VLAN on the Cisco side).

I don't see an option to specify which VLANs are allowed on the ports other than allowing all Vlans. What if you change the trunks on the Catalyst to allow all Vlans instead of just the 4 you have specified ?

https://www.lancom-systems.de/docs/config/en/refmanual/#topics/aa1084328.html

Hi there. I think your post get me to the solution. I had to add all used VLANs on the AccessPoint to the "VLAN Table" and added on the Switch-Ports "channel-mode lacp". Now everything seems to work fine. When i start big Up- and Downloads the Counters on de Switchports are going similar.

i think its a bit strange because this vlan table seems not to be used when you don't use LACP. The same VLAN Table is filled in on the controller of the AccessPoints but is not applied to the AccessPoint. I had to do this adjustment manually on all AccessPoints.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card