cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 across Layer 3

John Crubaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to pass layer 2 traffic across a layer 3 link between a Catalyst 4500 and Catalyst 6500.  I basically have OSPF connection between the 2 devices but need to extend the same subnet across both devices. I don't have any more physical connections or budget for more hardware..

Inquiring minds want to know.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well you could do that across a VLAN trunk while also having L3 across the same link too.  The latter could be done using a "p2p" VLAN.

Ashok Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Theoretically Yes! even practically but not sure if it 's suit your environment.

Below is very configuration example to GRE/L2TP:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/layer-two-tunnel-protocol-l2tp/116266-configure-l2-00.html

- Ashok

************************************************************************************************************

Please rate the useful post or mark as correct answer as it will help others looking for similar information

************************************************************************************************************

only problem is this ..

• The L3 tunneling encapsulation depends on the device that does the tunneling:
    1. Cisco 7301 supports L2TPv3 encapsulation.
    2. Cisco 65xx does not support L2 extension with the L2TPv3 tunnel. However, the L2 can be extended across an MLPS core with the Any Transport over MPLS (AToM) option.
    3. The L2TP tunnel is not supported on the Cisco 4500 switches

I had found that link too but was disappointed when i read this. :(

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card