cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Switch cant communicate with Router (PT LAB)

BrogsB12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello world, newbie here,

I am working on a lab studying for the CCNA which is related to OSPF. The lab has 3 sites, AZ, NV and FL which when usingRouter on a Stick everything works to perfection. However, the instructor on his video doesn't have any sub-interfaces on the routers which led me to believe that he is using SVI's on the L3 switch(s) that connects to the edge router (topography attached) i could have let this go at theRouter on a Stick config w/ OSPF but i'm curious and want to learn how to config withoutRouter on a Stick (if possible) and now its been DAYS messing with configs on AZ with no result of the L3 switch communicating/ forming an adjacency with the router.

On my lab when using only SVIs on the AZ site, VLANS can communicate with each other but they don't get passed the default gateway i set for them on the L3 switch SVI and OSPF adjacencies are formed between the two core L3 switches but not the router on AZ.... YET, adjacencies are formed with all site routers and i can ping devices from NV to FL without issues; again i kept Router on a Stick there since a L2 switch is the main device there per the lab. Can anyone advise me on why this could be and yes i have enabled Ip routing on the switch and have the correct default gateway for the computers to get to.. just that after trace route the computers get to their respective gateway and stop there...

I tried various other things such as a new SVI to connect to the router for communication but its not working... i will add as details emerge .. 

35 Replies 35

Hello,

post the zipped Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file...

You have 4 subnets and two of them overlap *
10.0.0.0/21 Arizona -10.0.0.1 to 10.0.7.254 *
10.0.7.0/28 Metro  -10.0.7.1 - 10.0.7.14  *

10.0.8.0/21 Nevada -10.0.8.1 to 10.0.15.254
10.0.16.0/21 Florida -10.0.16.1 to 10.0.23.254

Regards using L3 on the switches you would create a svi for each subnet taken from there respective assigned ip range and then have either a default static route pointing upstream towards there related site rtr or enable dynamic routing between rtr and switch (OSPF)

Arizona - AZW1 
svi 10-17

Nevada - NVSW1
svi 10-17

Florida - FLSW1
svi 10-17

On the site rtrs they should share a public address subnet (METRO -other than 10.0.7.0/28 and no NAT) so they can OSPF peer with each other (p2mp network type) and advertise their related site subnets.

Arizona -AZ-RT-1  -metro 172.16.1.1/29   (10.0.0.0/21)
Nevada -NV-RT-1  -metro 172.16.1.2/29   (10.0.8.0/21)
Florida - FL-RT-1    -metro 172.16.1.3/29   (10.0.16.0/21)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

mahdi benameur
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys i need help urgently i have three routers and a switch between ,the router in the other side were not able to learn the two other router using OSPF and the other routers has the same issues i would send the packetracer task which would one do me a favor and see what is in the hands because im studying for CCNA exam.

mahdi benameur
Level 1
Level 1

can someone help me urgently for the topics posted above im very thankful to you

Mahdi,

Which Packet Tracer are you having trouble with?  Please provide an image of the topology, the instructions file, and the Packet Tracer file.

Hi Dave thanks for your reply  I meant I have uploaded the .pkt from packet tracer above my the last question  it's ospftrouble.txt

hi Dave I have post the questions with explanation and the entire tasks ,with the issue exactly where exist, I'm doing traineeship in a company but my supervisor he is not helpful man so would you mind helping me try open it in your packet tracer and you will see the problem thanks in advance Dave I really appreciate you help imjust a beginner in this world 

Mahdi,

There is only a text file that shows output of the running-config. Please attach the actual .PKA or .PKT file along with the instructions. Also, which packet Tracer is it? Example 11.5.6 OSPF?

Ihi dave would you mind do me a favor for making things easier send me your email where i will be able to attach my .pkt tracer tasks because in this comuunity im not able to attach anything .

you sincerley

Mahdi

mahdi benameur
Level 1
Level 1

hi dave i have packet tracer 8.1.1 version but i would attach the file .pkt right know and as i said try open it with packet tracer , and the left side of the topology  there is three router (router 0, router 1, and router 13 and a switch 3 in between) they are not able to make an ospf connection learn each other even .i m not able to attach the .pkt file in this communoty do you have an email? where can is end the the .pkt format thanks in advance?

mahdi benameur
Level 1
Level 1

hi dave ihave send you the email with tasks

Mahdi,

Solution
--------
On R13, add Sub-interface FastEthernet0/0.5
   interface FastEthernet0/0
   no ip address 10.5.0.3 255.255.255.0
   exit
   interface FastEthernet0/0.5
   encapsulation dot1Q 5
   ip address 10.5.0.3 255.255.255.0

On R13, change ospf 1 network 10.5.0.0 0.0.0.255 to area 1 (from area 0)
   router ospf 1
   network 10.5.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

Verify: show ospf neighbors and show ip route.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

hi dave thanks for your solution concerning this part , its work perfectly ospf , but there is one problem i im not able to ping from pc1 to the internet or even to the the router 12 where i got unreachable what is the reason thanks in advance .

your sincelery \mahdi

mahdi benameur
Level 1
Level 1

hi dave

im not able to ping from host1 to router and vice versa while the ospf works perfectly do you have any idea about this what would be the main issue?

mahdi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card