Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link not connected in FEX with Nexus 7010 connection

Hi Team,

Please advise me for the below issue.

I have a FEX ( N2K-C2232TM-E-10GE ) connected to two Nexus 7010 as dual home. The FEX is online in both Nexus 7K , however when we are connecting any server ( Dell) in the FEX port its showing :"Link not connected". 

I have verified the configuration in both Nexus 7K and i can confirm both are identical.Could some one plase suggest what could be the issue. The configuration are below

interface Ethernet102/1/16
switchport access vlan 4
switchport mode access
spanning-tree port type edge
no shut

N7K01(config-if)# show interface ethernet 102/1/16
Ethernet102/1/16 is down (Link not connected)
admin state is up, Dedicated Interface
Hardware: 1000/10000 Ethernet, address: 5061.bf61.4a7a (bia 5061.bf61.4a7a)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast
Port mode is access
auto-duplex, auto-speed
Beacon is turned off
Auto-Negotiation is turned on
Input flow-control is off, output flow-control is on
Auto-mdix is turned off
Switchport monitor is off
EtherType is 0x8100
Last link flapped never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
0 interface resets
Load-Interval #1: 30 seconds
30 seconds input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris and Balaji

The issue has been resolved. This model FEX only support 1/10G and not 10/100 mbps. So the servers ports are in 100mbps and they have changed the speed to 1Gbps and start the ports are up.

Thank you for the support.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

based on information provided, at the moment i can only think of speed settings.

interface Ethernet102/1/16

speed 1000

try lower 

speed 100

another quick test

if you have any other device other than dell server connect to interface Ethernet102/1/16 see if the port working for testing.(like laptop).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

HI Balaji,

Thank you for the support. Please find the Cisco data sheet for this fex below

"Cisco is introducing the Cisco Nexus® 2232TM-E 10GE Fabric Extender as part of the Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders (Figure 1). The Cisco Nexus 2232TM-E 10GE builds on the success of the Cisco Nexus 2000 Series and the benefits of 10GBASE-T technology. The platform is a superset of the Cisco Nexus 2232TM 10GE Fabric Extender, with the same underlying architecture and the latest generation of the 10GBASE-T physical layer device (PHY), enabling lower power consumption and an improved bit-error rate (BER). It supports highly scalable 1 and 10GBASE-T environments, with ease of migration from 1GBASE-T to 10GBASE-T and flexible use of Category 6, 6a, and 7 cabling. It includes an uplink module that supports eight 10 Gigabit Ethernet fabric interfaces"

So It will support only 1 and 10g speed and no any lower speed.
I had tested the laptop but the result was same. Link not connected.

Thanks for the input, 

we would like to see your dual-homed config along with show fex and more config related to FEX port-channel.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Abdul!

I understand you are encountering issues where a FEX interface shows "Link not connected" when connected to a Dell server. I have a few questions and requests:

1. Can you please provide the following two commands from both Nexus 7010s:

show module
show fex 102 detail

2. What model of Dell server are you attempting to connect the FEX to?

3. Have you attempted to utilize another interface on the FEX for this purpose, aside from Eth102/1/16?

4. Are any other interfaces on this FEX connected to devices and functioning normally?

5. I see from the output of show interface Eth102/1/16 that auto-negotiation of interface speed and duplex is enabled. Can you verify that the Dell server's network interfaces are configured similarly, and that neither speed nor duplex are hard-coded on the Dell server?

Thank you!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

1. I will give you the output of requested commands.
2. What model of Dell server are you attempting to connect the FEX to?= Need to check on the model of the Dell server
3. Have you attempted to utilize another interface on the FEX for this purpose, aside from Eth102/1/16? = I had connected my laptop but output was same.
4.Are any other interfaces on this FEX connected to devices and functioning normally? Yes, some servers are connected to other interface and its working fine. Only issue on few servers on few ports.
5. I see from the output of show interface Eth102/1/16 that auto-negotiation of interface speed and duplex is enabled. Can you verify that the Dell server's network interfaces are configured similarly, and that neither speed nor duplex are hard-coded on the Dell server?= I will check with servers team on this.

Hi Chris and Balaji

The issue has been resolved. This model FEX only support 1/10G and not 10/100 mbps. So the servers ports are in 100mbps and they have changed the speed to 1Gbps and start the ports are up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card