cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linking 2 switches together

rossgilmour
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches in our cabinet. One is a cisco small business PoE switch and the other is a netgear poe switch.

The netgear is our main switch, and the cisco one we have just acquired from Vodafone.

I want to link both switches together so anything I plug into the cisco switch can get an IP address through dhcp.

I am using a crossover cable to link the cisco gigabit port 2 into our netgear one. I've tried everything and nothing gets an IP address when its plugged into the cisco switch?

Is there anything I need to do to get this working?

Any help appreciated.

e

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'll ask the obvious first. Do you get link lights on both switches when connecting them with a xover cable? If so, the only other thing that would keep you from getting addresses is having vlans configured on the switches. Do you have any vlans configured on any of these switches? If one supports vlans and the other one doesn't, you could have this issue because the switch that doesn't support vlans will drop the traffic.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

John,

I do get lights on both switches when connected with crossover cable.

Vodafone told me that gigaport 2 should be ok to use. I wouldnt know where to start to check that with the netgear router.

So if I can figure out how to set vlans up on both routers this should solve the issue?

Regards

Ross

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card