Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balance weight on etherchannels/portchannels

mario_kmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I know there is a way to set load balance on etherchannels and its based on mac/ip source/dst addresses.

But is there a way to set weights for different interfaces? Similar to EIGRP.

This is for 3560x and 4500
Thank you

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as I'm aware, weights are not supported for port channels and you only have the choice of src, dst, src/dst mac/ip/ports. There are no options per link for the channel-group, and load balancing is configured globally and affects all etherchannels on the box. The recommended is to choose the method that will give you the greatest amount of variety so you'll utilize as many links in the group as possible.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as I'm aware, weights are not supported for port channels and you only have the choice of src, dst, src/dst mac/ip/ports. There are no options per link for the channel-group, and load balancing is configured globally and affects all etherchannels on the box. The recommended is to choose the method that will give you the greatest amount of variety so you'll utilize as many links in the group as possible.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mario,

I don't think there is way to assign weight for each member port of the port channel. The switch will do the hash based on the configured hash algorithm, the result will be a number from 1-8. Switch will distribute all the number equally across all member ports. This hash distribution method is not configurable.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

mario_kmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thank you all for your time. I'm looking for a solution to balance over different bandwidth WAN links delivered via 100Mbps ethernet. The real speed is not 100Mbps but much less.

Was looking for a L2 solution before heading off to EIGRP unequal cost load balancing.

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mario,

If the links are L3, then you have some solutions to do unequal cost load sharing. You can config 5 static default routes, 4 of them point to link1, 1 of them points to link 2. So you will get approximately 4:1 ratio on the traffic distribute. You can config EIGRP for unequal cost if the provider supports EIGRP. You can also do PfR to get traffic distribute based on the link utilization.

Since you are not getting line rate of the link, another thing you might want consider is HQoS. It allows you shape your traffic down to the real bandwidth, so you traffic that exceed the CIR will not get drop by provider.

HTH,
Lei Tian
HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

mario_kmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lei,

Thanks very much. The use of multiple static to the same destination is actually news for me very good one. Heard of Pfr but never used or tried it.

Thanks very much I'm gonna have some fun

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card