cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for network service redundant solution of Catalyst 9300

ezisaac
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a network service redundant solution for a project in a building with 2 IDFs (just 100 feet away, to prevent any single point of failure of building operation) on each floor. We used Catalyst 9500/9400/9300 solution in this project. Originally, we try to use 9500 as core switch and 9300 on each floor (around 50 devices each floor). AFAIK, only Cat-9400 supports VSS that we can link two of those (one in each IDF room) together as a virtual switch but the cost of 9400 is kind of much higher than 9300. Are there any other least expensive solution (cost similar to Cat-9300) that I may use in this project? Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Do you still have your Cat9500? These series support virtual stack (kind of VSS). You also have the 3850-48-XS supporting virtual stacking.
Except these, you have other cat4k or 6k supporting VSS but at that stage I’ll recommend to go with newest 9400.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Do you still have your Cat9500? These series support virtual stack (kind of VSS). You also have the 3850-48-XS supporting virtual stacking.
Except these, you have other cat4k or 6k supporting VSS but at that stage I’ll recommend to go with newest 9400.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not like over engineering with VSS or vSTACK, i suggest simple setup with  2 - core Device L3 mode

Each Access switch connect to each core with 1 uplink(1 uplink core 1 and 1 uplink 2 core 2) run p2p links with IGP.

Since way you can simplyfy the setup and easy maintained. again this my personal view. (not that i was saying VSS wrong,)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card