Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost Connection Between Buildings

2 days ago, we had a lightning strike, on one of our buildings.  Within this building, we have a Cisco 2960G 24 port switch.  This switch is connected to an AMP patch panel via an ST to LC fiber connector, using an SFP.  There is a fiber run from this building, to our data center about 1000ft away.  The fiber run goes to another AMP patch panel, and is connect to our core via another ST to LC connector using an SFP.

Both layer1 & layer2 show as not connected.  This lead me to believe we had a hardware issue.  I changed out the fiber connector, first at the outlying building.  When that didn't work, I changed the fiber connector at the core.  That still had no affect, so I changed both (just in case we had an issue with both cables).  I then proceeded to change out the SFP's.  First in the outlying building, then at the core, then at both.  While doing this, I also changed out the fiber connectors, just in case I had bad fiber cables, and SFP's.  That still didn't work.  I had a wiring person come on site, just to determine if there was a break in the fiber run from the core to the outlying building.  There showed no break.  We even shot a laser with an OTDR, and were able to see the laser beam through the other side.  Oh, I forgot to mention.  I even went as far as configuring a new 2960 48 port PoE switch, just in case the physical switch had an issue.  Would anyone have any other ideas as to what might be happening?  Please advise.  AND thank you for taking the time to read this.

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Work your way with loopbacks from the SFP and out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card