Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost SSH connection after remove VLAN from trunk

DIRISI_CYE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my 3925 router, when I remove a vlan from my trunk port (this is also the port used for my SSH connection to my router), I lose my SSH connection and I can not even ping my router.

Can you explain me why?

7 Replies 7

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
No doubt the same vlan you removed from the trunk port was also the mgmt vlan used for remote access, with that vlan removed from the trunk the mgmt. path is logically broken.

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If you doesnt has access on this device, you have two possibility.

1. Log on console and input vlan again on trunk
2. Restart this device if you dont apply write memory earlier.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I have already restarted my router via my console port and the VLAN I removed was just a test created to analyze this problem.

I created the vlan and added it to my trunk port and removed it immediately, which caused the loss of SSH connection and forced me to restart the router via the console port.

If the vlan that you removed from trunk is the MGMT, you will lost connection with your network just from this device and this vlan. Any other port on this switch will be able to establish connection with your router.

If you need access your switch again from this vlan, you will need create it again from console cable or restart the switch if you werent applied it on startup-config
Jaderson Pessoa

The VLAN I removed is not my MGMT VLAN and this is why I don't understand the loss of my SSH connection or the unsuccessfuly PING.

@DIRISI_CYE  hello,

Which command do you use for finish this task?

switchport trunk allowed vlan xyz

switchport trunk allowed vlan add xyz

switchport trunk allowed vlan remove  xyz

Could you clarify it for us?

Jaderson Pessoa

I agree with @Jaderson Pessoa that we need more information. We need to know what was the original configuration for the vlans and the trunk. And we need to know what commands the original poster used to remove the vlan. Also the original poster says something about adding a vlan to investigate a problem. Perhaps it would help if we knew what problem was being investigated.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: