cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac filtering in cisco switch and mac access list

Samiullah Osman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 switch and many access points plus cisco 3900 router but I don`t have any firewall. I want to apply mac filtering in my network.

I tried MAC-ACL but it can`t be apply to out bound of switch interface. and only allow me to apply it to ingress interface. but I want to apply it the way, that switch don`t send unauthorised packet to router (interface outbound) 

please help me, and suggest a way for mac filtering. 

SamiullahOsman_0-1663565301477.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anboom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings Samiullah Osman and thanks for posting an interesting question.

What is the goal of your filtering outbound traffic? Perhaps filtering inbound and stopping the traffic from traversing your network could work?

Here is a support doc that might help with the 3560 mac filtering, using VLAN maps

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3550-series-switches/64844-mac-acl-block-arp.html

regards, Anna

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

anboom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings Samiullah Osman and thanks for posting an interesting question.

What is the goal of your filtering outbound traffic? Perhaps filtering inbound and stopping the traffic from traversing your network could work?

Here is a support doc that might help with the 3560 mac filtering, using VLAN maps

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3550-series-switches/64844-mac-acl-block-arp.html

regards, Anna

@anboom totally right, 
you can use MAC-ACL and add it to VLAN map and then any frame bridge inside this VLAN will filter by MAC-ACL

Greetings anboom 
thanks a lot for you nice replay 
I fallowed your instructs and applied this.
Now can you help me with verification commands (show ) commands. how can I show that "mac access-list" in my switch.

I really appreciate you nice advises.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as i remember outbound ACL is not supported.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: