Views
Helpful
Replies

Measuring StackWise backplane performance

Aurecon Group
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a stack of 4 x 3750-E switches that have been fully populated with 10Gbps X2 fibre modules for 10Gbps SAN connectivity.  I want to know if there is a bottleneck on the backplane of the stack, either on the individual switch's backplane or on the StackWise backplane.

Are there any ways to measure the performance using SNMP or otherwise?  Can I measure any drops/losses?  What are the bandwidth limitations of this backplane?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What are the bandwidth limitations of this backplane?

Command:  sh switch stack-ring speed

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have a look at table-2 and also table-8 in this link:

here are the numbers from the data sheet:

• 160-Gbps switching fabric capacity

• Stack-forwarding rate of 95 Mpps for 64-byte packets

• Forwarding rate:

• 3750E-24TD-65.5 Mpps

• 3750E-24PD-65.5 Mpps

• 3750E-48TD-101.2 Mpps

• 3750E-48PD-101.2 Mpps

• 3750E-48PD-F-101.2 Mpps

• Memory:

• 256 MB DRAM and 64 MB FLASH

• Feature resources:

• 1005 VLANs

• 4K VLAN IDs

• 1000 switched virtual interfaces (SVIs)

• 468 routed ports per stack

• 9216 byte jumbo frames

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7077/product_data_sheet0900aecd805bbe67.html

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Can I measure any drops/losses?

They might show up under the ASIC stats.

What are the bandwidth limitations of this backplane?

Each individual switch has 160 Gbps fabric; unlikely you'll bottleneck there.

The StackWise Plus ring is "64 Gbps", which I believe is really dual 16 Gbps (duplex).  It's possible you can exceed the ring's bandwidth, especially between a pair of switch members, but if the bulk of your traffic is between 10g ports, dual 10g on one switch member would likely bottleneck before the ring itself does.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco