cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from MST to Rapid-PVST

le_
Level 1
Level 1

Our organisation is looking at migrating a switch block of approximately 16 switches (distribution and access), 350 defined vlans and 7 MST regions, to Rapid-PVST.

Just wondering if anyone has done this (or hasn't) and has some tips, pointers, information or things to look out for while attempting to take this on?

This includes a layer 2 cross-site that carries two existing MST regions (~60 defined Vlans) over a dark fibre, so in effect there are two switch blocks. Not all Vlan's are carried cross-site and not all Vlan's are defined across all switches.

Any comments appreciated.

5 Replies 5

SunilKhanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Luke,

You might like to check spanning-tree configuration examples mentioned below.

Configuration example to migrate Spanning Tree from PVST+  to MST

Regards, Sunil Khanna

Thanks Sunil, but we're actually looking to go backwards and move from MST to RPVST.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Luke,

Instead of guiding through the process of backward migration, let me first ask you a question: why would you want to migrate from MSTP back to Rapid-PVST? I am asking because MSTP itself is built on top of RSTP, and many issues related to MSTP can be corrected by configuring it properly, rather than reverting back to RPVST.

Best regards,

Peter

bridgepartners
Level 1
Level 1

I am sure you have your reasons to go back to Rapid-PVST+. We are planning to migrate the other way and so the documents do apply to our case. Our lab test the other day created a blocked port that we were not expecting, so proceed with caution - it seems fairly non-intuitive to us.

Daniel

Jacob Zartmann
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever do this migration?

What did you discover? Any pitfalls/tips??

I myself am looking to migrate away from MSTP as we see configuration errors and only have ~25 VLANs which do not call for 802.1s IMHO.

Thank you.

BR,

/JZ

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card