cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating pair of C4506-E to Nexus 5000 series

Fartingdragon
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running into a couple of hiccups trying to migrate everything over. So as of right now, the set up has two ISP hand offs going into the C4506-E which then connected to a pair of ASA FWs and the Nexus 5000 series. All the access switches has a static route to point network traffic to the pair of C4506-Es, which points all the traffic out to the ASAs. 

1st problem resolved. My mistake on the VLAN. I didn't use the nexus os commands at first. 

I saw there are only static routes. To migrate I assume just mirror the static routes from the C4506-Es to the Nexus, and unplug the devices/hosts/cables going in to the C4506s over to the Nexus with the same vlan? Am I missing any other steps I might want to consider?  

5 Replies 5

I dont have full answer but I will help you as much as I can 

Now pair of 4500 run vss?

Pair of nsk run vpc?

I don't think the 4500 run vss, I only see port channel but no switch virtual domain in the configs. I do see nsk run vpc.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you small diagram how they connected 

You want connect Nexus 5K to ISP ? (this is bad idea honestly) - nexus switches DC switches.

Nexus do support 0-1005 VLAN normal : (some document not updated by cisco as expected, some time we need to do home work for get correct answer)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/b_Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS_/b_Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS__chapter_0100.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have a spreadsheet on how they connect. I know where to rewire and put things with the right vlans and configs.

You're right. I posted then realized my own mistake. 

Actually, can you tell me why it is a bad idea? Do you suggest keeping the C4500s? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card