cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating VDC from m1/F2e to F2e only

rocdrigo13
Level 1
Level 1

We have a couple of nexus 7010  running a default VDC with NXOS 6.2(12),  we  are using some M1 modules and one F2e module, so the VDC module type is the following: limit-resource module-type m1 m1xl m2xl f2e.

Now whe want to take off the M1 modules, so we have to change the module type to F2e only (limit-resource module-type f2e).

The question is... when we change the module-type to f2e..do we have to rebind the F2e interfaces or it would be better to reload the whole switch...

someone could recommend a less disruptive way to do that??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have done this before. Rebind is necessary when you are doing this.

Reboot will not resolve or will not help in rebinding the interfaces automatically.

Regards

Inayath

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Moh Mogh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Nexus series support Online Insertion and Removal, so a reboot is not required.

Regards,
Mohammad Moghaddas

Thanks Mohammad, but my question is related that when yo change the limit-resource module-type m1 m1xl m2xl f2e to limit-resource module-type f2e, it is mandatory to execute the "rebind interfaces" command and i was wondering if it would be better reload the switch because we are working on the defauld vdc.

Old VDC Type

New VDC Type

Rebind Required

Description

Impact

M,F2e

F2e

Yes

Changes F2e from proxy to Layer 3 mode.

You will lose the M,F2e configuration during the rebinding of the interface. M configuration loss should not have much impact because M ports are not part of the new VDC.

Hi,

As far as I know, reloading the vdc is optional, you can check if everything is going well after the rebind interfaces with show vdc detail.

In case you are creating a new VDC, then you can only reload the new vdc with reload vdc NEW.

I assume that you are having a redundant setup, but in any case, from the business point of view, I suggest to schedule a change window with expected impact.

Looks like by the time I got to compiling and sending my response, there were already responses to this thread so apologize for the redundant information.

I do want to clarify that the reload will not have the same affect as rebind. It is necessary to rebind the interfaces.

-Raj

Thanks Mohammad and  Rajeshkumar

I have done this before. Rebind is necessary when you are doing this.

Reboot will not resolve or will not help in rebinding the interfaces automatically.

Regards

Inayath

Thank you very much InayathUlla

Roc,

If this thread has resolved your query could you please rate all the usefull post and mark the thread as answered rather than leaving it as open thread so that other gets benefited with it who will have similar query in future.

Regards

Inayath

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rebinding is required. Here is a complete list which shows where rebinding is applicable

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/b-7k-Cisco-Nexus-7000-Series-NX-OS-Virtual-Device-Context-Configuration-Guide/managing-vdc.html#concept_90BEF2977FAE454CA21D6D33F22A07A9

-Raj

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card