Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

Minimum hardware models for iOS

As you can tell by the question I am a beginner in the Cisco universe.

Being in the process of becoming a CCENT and supporting SMBs... does the Cisco SMB line of products support iOS / the CLI? And if no, what is the minumum hardware series / models that I need to work with iOS / the CLI.

Thank you

Stephan

Everyone's tags (2)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Community Legend

And if no, what is the minumum hardware series / models that I need to work with iOS / the CLI.

The ones found here:  www.cisco.com/go/routers

Enthusiast

Re: Minimum hardware models for iOS

Cisco SMB switches 300 and 500 series support CLI. But they have limited functionalities compared to pure IOS based switches - Catalyst series.

No SMB router suports CLI so you'll have to look at 800 series or better. Same goes for wireless products also.

Beginner

As a noob to Cisco I started a thread here about setting up a very cheap 831 router. That was not a good experience. For a home network a responder in my OP recommended starting with at least 851 or 871.  But for my part, I'm not interested to be a Cisco admin, so maybe you'd like the challenge of a cheap 831!

3 REPLIES 3
Hall of Fame Community Legend

And if no, what is the minumum hardware series / models that I need to work with iOS / the CLI.

The ones found here:  www.cisco.com/go/routers

Enthusiast

Cisco SMB switches 300 and 500 series support CLI. But they have limited functionalities compared to pure IOS based switches - Catalyst series.

No SMB router suports CLI so you'll have to look at 800 series or better. Same goes for wireless products also.

Beginner

As a noob to Cisco I started a thread here about setting up a very cheap 831 router. That was not a good experience. For a home network a responder in my OP recommended starting with at least 851 or 871.  But for my part, I'm not interested to be a Cisco admin, so maybe you'd like the challenge of a cheap 831!

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards