cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

model 2821 router guidance please ?

MichaelPN001
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade the ROMMON to correct a vulnerability issue (PSIRT: 62573_FN_62573_RouterAS535) and am trying to load the recommended "C2800NM_RM2.srec.124-13r.T5" file into our 2821 routers...can anyone tell me what directory to put in in please?  I've tried everything that I can think of with no success. It just gets blocked, uses up all my TFTP retries and then aborts the session. Thank you ! Best Regards, Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

1.  Instead of upgrading the ROMmon to 12.4(13r)T5, please consider upgrading to version 12.4(13r)T11 as this version has the ability to allow the router to boot via USB.

2.  Can you physically have access to the router? The router has two USB ports, you can put the IOS into a USB stick (as long it's supported and formatted correctly).

To apply the ROMmon upgrade, the command is:

TFTP:  upgrade rom file tftp:///filename

USB:  upgrade rom file usbflash0/1:filename

At either case, you'll be asked a yes/no question and if you hit "y" the router will upgrade the ROMmon and reload. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

1.  Instead of upgrading the ROMmon to 12.4(13r)T5, please consider upgrading to version 12.4(13r)T11 as this version has the ability to allow the router to boot via USB.

2.  Can you physically have access to the router? The router has two USB ports, you can put the IOS into a USB stick (as long it's supported and formatted correctly).

To apply the ROMmon upgrade, the command is:

TFTP:  upgrade rom file tftp:///filename

USB:  upgrade rom file usbflash0/1:filename

At either case, you'll be asked a yes/no question and if you hit "y" the router will upgrade the ROMmon and reload. 

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

To expand a little on what Leo has posted, generically you can also upgrade from other supported devices, so for instance you might upgrade from a FTP server or from ordinary flash.

If you don't allow the requested reload, the ROM will NOT be upgraded on a later reload.  I.e. you can't do this as you might an IOS upgrade.

MichaelPN001
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for the command line and bigger-picture replies !  I have new ideas for 1st thing tomorrow now !  I have been approaching the load like an IOS upgrade using my laptop as the server file location both via console port and via our network to get this to succeed.  I'm going to run that USB capable ROMMON version idea past the corporate approval folks, but I am merely a part of "The BORG", so that won't be an immediate fix to get these routers off my discrepancy report, as management sets the software standards, we're just the field hands to a point. Find the logic in that one ?  I miss the old days when we were all administrators and were allowed to broken-field run the ball...

I got it to work ! Thank you !

Glad to see it's working.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card