Views
Helpful
Replies

Modular IOS being phased out?

patrick.roche
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Having attended various road shows I hear that modular IOS is being phased out by Cisco. My question is therefore:

What is the procedure for replacing my current IOS s72033-adventerprisek9-vz.122-33.SXI3.bin to the equivalent Native version. Are there any caveats or gotchas that I need to be aware off. I have a 6509-E VSS environment.

Regards,

Pat

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is the 2nd time I have heard this.  That didn't last long if thats the case , it was supposed to be the next big thing.  I don't think network admins wanted to take the time to figure it all out .   I'm in the middle of trying to figure out all this licensing stuff for the ISR's and 15.X code, that also looks like a pain . I guess on the bright side there is a single universal image for each model , no more multiple images to choose from , but getting all the licenses correct and keeping track of them all will be a pain.  I would also think with a single image you will be getting constant vulnerability updates seeing there is a single image for everything...

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pat,

That is correct.  Cisco is  phasing out all the modular codes for the 6500 series.  According to Cisco, starting with IOS 12.2(33)SXJ, there will not be any modular code to download. One caveat I found is when you are using VSS with modular code and trying to upgrade to a non-modular code, you can NOT use eFSU. You have to simply copy the image into flash, change to boot variable and reboot the VSS pair. So, there is going to be a down time of about 20 minutes (varies based on the number of  modules you have installed) if you are upgrading from modular to non-modular 

HTH

Reza

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card